Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting blank cells in a formula

I am trying to track progress with a percentage. In a range (V2:V90), I want
excel to count blank cells as 0 and if someone enters a date in the
worksheet, I want excel to count as 1. Then I would take and divide the
total in that cell range and by and overall total to arrive at a percentage.
I've tried many things and can't get it to work.

Here's an example of something I tried...
=(IF(ISBLANK(V2:V90),"0")(SUM(V2:V90)/F173))
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

One guess, going by your attempt:
=(IF(ISBLANK(V2:V90),"0")(SUM(V2:V90)/F173))

Maybe this:
=IF(COUNTBLANK(V2:V90)=89,0,SUM(V2:V90)/F173)
--
Max
Singapore
"Krashn" wrote:
I am trying to track progress with a percentage. In a range (V2:V90), I want
excel to count blank cells as 0 and if someone enters a date in the
worksheet, I want excel to count as 1. Then I would take and divide the
total in that cell range and by and overall total to arrive at a percentage.
I've tried many things and can't get it to work.

Here's an example of something I tried...
=(IF(ISBLANK(V2:V90),"0")(SUM(V2:V90)/F173))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am not sure where the F137 come into the story, but:

=SUM(V2:V90)/(COUNT(V2:V90)+COUNTBLANK(V2:V90))

The SUM will add up the ones and blanks
The denominator divides by the total number of cells in the region
(non-blanks plus blanks)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200745

"Krashn" wrote:

I am trying to track progress with a percentage. In a range (V2:V90), I want
excel to count blank cells as 0 and if someone enters a date in the
worksheet, I want excel to count as 1. Then I would take and divide the
total in that cell range and by and overall total to arrive at a percentage.
I've tried many things and can't get it to work.

Here's an example of something I tried...
=(IF(ISBLANK(V2:V90),"0")(SUM(V2:V90)/F173))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, this gives me a couple of ideas to try, and maybe I am overthinking
this, but what I need the formula to provide is not actually the totals of
the cells, but the number of ones with dates versus ones with out. So when
someone enters a date, that is one. The cell F173 is the total number of
projects (also equal to the total number of cells) at 89. If I add an
obejective to the list F173 will update with the new number. I want the
formula to divide the number of date into the total for a percentage.

thanks for the replies. I can probably figure a round about way to do it
use formulas in several cells, but I want to be able to enter one formula
into one cell to do that!

"Krashn" wrote:

I am trying to track progress with a percentage. In a range (V2:V90), I want
excel to count blank cells as 0 and if someone enters a date in the
worksheet, I want excel to count as 1. Then I would take and divide the
total in that cell range and by and overall total to arrive at a percentage.
I've tried many things and can't get it to work.

Here's an example of something I tried...
=(IF(ISBLANK(V2:V90),"0")(SUM(V2:V90)/F173))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Given this new information, the percentage of cells with data in your range
would be:

=count(v2:v90)/f173

Fred