Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Finding the difference between two numbers

I am setting up a payment worksheet in Excel that gives the names in column
A, dates of the different payments in B, C, D, and E, and the total in F.
The total should come out to be $2,500. In column G, I'd like it to show the
amout each person still owes. So, if I place $500 in "A", then "G" should
show $2,000.

What I've done so far is set the worksheet up to add up colums B-E to show
the total in F. Now, how do I get colum F to show the difference still owed?
What formula do I use, and how do I set that up?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

how do I get colum F to show the difference still owed?

I assume you meant column G since you say column F is for the total paid.

You could use either of these:

=2500-F2

Where F2 = Total paid

Or:

=2500-SUM(B2:E2)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Christian J. Sweatt" <Christian J. wrote
in message ...
I am setting up a payment worksheet in Excel that gives the names in column
A, dates of the different payments in B, C, D, and E, and the total in F.
The total should come out to be $2,500. In column G, I'd like it to show
the
amout each person still owes. So, if I place $500 in "A", then "G" should
show $2,000.

What I've done so far is set the worksheet up to add up colums B-E to show
the total in F. Now, how do I get colum F to show the difference still
owed?
What formula do I use, and how do I set that up?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much! That did exactly what I needed it to do. The formula was
so simple, yet I could not figure out what I should have done.

Thanks again,

Christian

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The formula was so simple, yet I could not figure
out what I should have done.

Whenever that happens to me, and it happens often, I take a break to clear
my mind!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP