Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with my coding problem?

I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out a coding problem that I
SCREWED UP. I had this code in my Microsoft Word VB Editor that you see
below. The code worked PERFECTLY until I stupidly tried to edit it without
first making a backup. I know, first rule of any work is to make a backup, so
I can't believe I forgot to do that.

As an FYI, the "code" contained below was interfacing with one of my Excel
Workbooks, and allowed me to chose a client name from a dropdown menu (in
Excel), and when the name was chosen, Excel would call up a "Word", and the
Userform that was created would also open. This would then allow me to input
narrative comments into the Userform.

As a result of my "editing", I can select a client name (on the Excel
Workbook), but "Word" and "The Userform" no longer opens (actually it looks
as if it is trying to open, but cannot).

If some kind and knowledge person could look at the code below and let me
know if you see anything that I am leaving out I'd greatly appreciate it.
I've also emailed a few friends for suggestions, but wanted to post here as
well in order to attempt a "resolve" as soon as possible. I so depend upon
computer programs to do their job, so when they don't (thanks to my errors) I
am quite frustrated.

Dan

The Code in the MS Word "Sample Note.doc" VB Editor Module is as follows:

Sub UpdateComments(parm1)

On Error Resume Next

Documents.Open FileName:=parm1

If Not FileExists(parm1) Then ' Check if file/folder exists .....
MsgBox "File " & parm1 & " does not exist", vbOKCancel
Exit Sub
End If

UserForm1.Show vbModeless

Function FileExists(fname) As Boolean
' Returns TRUE if the file exists
Dim x As String
x = Dir(fname)
If x < "" Then FileExists = True _
Else FileExists = False
End Function

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Dan,

I tested the code with a dummy entry for the document to be opened. I took
out the parameter from the sub name and assigned a document name to parm1
like this:-

Sub UpdateComments()
parm1 = "Document1.doc"

The code works perfectly. Therefore I suggest that you test to ensure that
the code is attempting to open the document from the correct folder/path. Put
a stop or interupt in after the line:-

Documents.Open FileName:=parm1
Stop

Run the code and when it stops rest the mouse pointer over parm1.

Check that parm1 is the correct filename. If only the filename is displayed
without a path, then check that your current path is where the document is.
Check this by going into file-open and see if you are in the correct path.
If parm1 includes a path then ensure that it is correct.

If not in the correct path then you can either prefix parm1 with the fully
qualified path in your code or you can use code to change to the correct path
before the code to open the document.

Regards,

OssieMac

"Dan the Man" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Still can't get it to work on my end. I was able to utilize "stop" to bring
up the Userform again, however I think that I'm still missing something
because my various Userform buttons (print, add note, etc) aren't working
with the addition of the stop code...........I appreciate however your
feedback OssieMac and your time.

"Dan the Man" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi again Dan,

Very little works while the macro is interrupted on the stop code. It simply
allows you to hover the mouse pointer over variables to confirm their
contents. I should have told you that you need to press F5 to continue after
the stop.

Were you able to confirm the contents of parm1 and also your current path
because I still suspect that this is the problem.

As a little extra info, the On Error Resume Next is there in case the file
cannot be opened. You should cancel it after it has done it's job like this:-

On Error Resume Next
Documents.Open FileName:=parm1
On Error GoTo 0 'Cancels the previous On Error Resume Next

If you do not cancel it then you are going to miss real errors in your code.
It will simply skip past them.

Regards,

OssieMac