Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
j j is offline

Default Hide $0.00

I am using Excel 2007.
I am using the following formula to calculate the total cost based on 2 cells:
The formula is in Cell "F3" and is entered as this =B3*C3

How can I keep it from displaying $0.00 when the fields are empty?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try one of these:

=IF(COUNT(B3,C3)<2,"",B3*C3)

=IF(OR(B3="",C3=""),"",B3*C3)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"J" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2007.
I am using the following formula to calculate the total cost based on 2
cells:
The formula is in Cell "F3" and is entered as this =B3*C3

How can I keep it from displaying $0.00 when the fields are empty?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
j j is offline

I tried the first one and it works perfect.
Thanks.

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try one of these:

=IF(COUNT(B3,C3)<2,"",B3*C3)

=IF(OR(B3="",C3=""),"",B3*C3)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"J" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2007.
I am using the following formula to calculate the total cost based on 2
cells:
The formula is in Cell "F3" and is entered as this =B3*C3

How can I keep it from displaying $0.00 when the fields are empty?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi J,

An alternate solution which might be considered is to suppress the display
of zero on the sheet. In that case you hide all 0's from view or printing
but they still remain in the cell. This effects the entire sheet on which
you apply it.

Choose File (Office Button), Excel Options, Advanced, Display options for
this worksheet, and uncheck "Show zero in cells that have zero value."
--

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"J" wrote:

I am using Excel 2007.
I am using the following formula to calculate the total cost based on 2 cells:
The formula is in Cell "F3" and is entered as this =B3*C3

How can I keep it from displaying $0.00 when the fields are empty?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Or just a custom format like

$#,##0.00;-$#,##0.00;

That way the OP can suppress the display of zeros where he/she wants it only
and not in the whole workbook

Peo Sjoblom

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote in
message ...

"J" wrote:

I am using Excel 2007.
I am using the following formula to calculate the total cost based on 2
cells:
The formula is in Cell "F3" and is entered as this =B3*C3

How can I keep it from displaying $0.00 when the fields are empty?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"J" wrote in message
I tried the first one and it works perfect.
Thanks.

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try one of these:

=IF(COUNT(B3,C3)<2,"",B3*C3)

=IF(OR(B3="",C3=""),"",B3*C3)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"J" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2007.
I am using the following formula to calculate the total cost based on 2
cells:
The formula is in Cell "F3" and is entered as this =B3*C3

How can I keep it from displaying $0.00 when the fields are empty?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And in the spirit of "there are more ways to kill a pig than stuffing it
with butter":
Use conditional formatting such that if value is zero, then font color
matched cell background and hence is invisible.
But I prefer Peo's answer!
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"J" wrote:

I am using Excel 2007.
I am using the following formula to calculate the total cost based on 2
cells:
The formula is in Cell "F3" and is entered as this =B3*C3

How can I keep it from displaying $0.00 when the fields are empty?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The easiest IMHO is a simple formula:

=IF(B3*C3,B3*C3,"")

Kills 2 birds with one stone.<g