Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Total 12 columns starting with first non blank column

I'm trying to write a formula that will add 12 columns together starting with
the first non blank column(and adding the following 11 columns). The start
column won't necessarily be the same column for each row.

I've found some array formulas that give the the sequential column number
where the data starts
=MATCH(TRUE,H5:AE5<"",0)+6
this returns a number though and not a column letter of the first non blank
cell. I'm not sure if this is the approach to take or not.

I'm trying to add up sales data for different businesses for their first 12
months regardless of when they which isn't the same for all companies. the
data in spreadsheet looks something like this.

20 55 55 55 55 55
20 55 55 55 55 55
20 55 55 55 55
20 55 55 55 55
20 55 55 55 55
20 55 55 55 55
20 55 55 55
20 55 55 55
20 55
20 55

--
Billy Rogers

Dallas,TX

Currently Using SQL Server 2000, Office 2000 and Office 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

the data I posted didn't show up correctly

let me try again here.....I'll put a zero where the blanks are just as a
placeholder

jan feb mar apr may jun jul aug sept oct
nov etc
55 55 55 22 55 11 555 12 11
11 11
0 11 11 11 11 11 1 11 11
11 12
0 0 0 11 11 11 1 11 11
11 12
--

"BillyRogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What I'm actually trying to find is the cell address of the first non-empty
cell in a row.

This formula gives me the the position withing the range of the first non
empty cell but not the cell address

=MATCH(TRUE,H16:AB16<"",0)

it simply returns and interger such as 4 when the fourth cell in the range
is the first non empty cell.

somehow I need to take that and convert it into a cell address

Thanks,

--

"BillyRogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks....

is there a way to change that so that it adds the cell returned by that
formula and the next 11 columns?

--

"BillyRogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A little<bg longer, but just as an exercise, one NON-volatile way would be
this *array* formula:

=SUM(INDEX(H16:AB16,MATCH(TRUE,H16:AB16<"",0)):
INDEX(H16:AB16,MATCH(TRUE,H16:AB16<"",0)+11))
--
Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of
the regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

*OR*

A NON-volatile *AND* NON-array way:

=SUM(INDEX(H16:AB16,MATCH(1,INDEX(--(ISNUMBER(H16:AB16)),1,),0)):
INDEX(H16:AB16,MATCH(1,INDEX(--(ISNUMBER(H16:AB16)),1,),0)+11))

RD

"BillyRogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Note that you will get a ref error if for instance the first value starts in
R16 and beyond since it less than 12 columns left. I actually did the same
formula as an alternative but when I got an error I didn't want to spend
anymore time offsetting the formula to adapt for less than 12 remaining
columns which obviously is possible

Peo Sjoblom

"BillyRogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Never thought to test for that Peo.

The one shortcoming of the Offset formula though, is that it calculates
*beyond* the stated range of interest,
Whether or not that presents a problem to the OP is questionable.

But ... for the sake of the archives, and to just complete the "experience",
the following 2 formulas take into consideration your concern of the first
value being entered in a cell where *less* then 12 columns remain in the
calculating referenced range:

*Array* and NON-volatile:

=SUM(INDEX(H16:AB16,MATCH(TRUE,H16:AB16<"",0)):
INDEX(H16:AB16,MIN(21,MATCH(TRUE,H16:AB16<"",0)+1 1)))

Non-array *AND* NON-volatile:

=SUM(INDEX(H16:AB16,MATCH(1,INDEX(--(ISNUMBER(H16:AB16)),1,),0)):
INDEX(H16:AB16,MIN(21,MATCH(1,INDEX(--(ISNUMBER(H16:AB16)),1,),0)+11)))

RD

"BillyRogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

how can I modify this so that i get a formula that totals the second group of
12 cells and another that does the same for the 3rd group of 12 cells? Does
that make sense?

there can be up to 36 cells of data in the row.

thanks,