Per

Default Tricky graph

Hi,

I'm working on a graph that would show the differences (pos or neg) per
category (f. ex. Milk, juice, Eggs, Bread) between an actual result and a
forecast.

AR 2004 FC 2008
Milk 500 300
Juice 700 900
Eggs 50
Bread 200 100
Others 75
Total 1400 1475

The way I would like to present it is a stacked bar chart, where the lower
part of the bar is hidden (except first and last bar), so you only see the
differences, presented as the top bar. So;
First bar shows total 2004 (1400)
Second bar shows (1200 which is hidden) and 200 as a decrease in Milk
Third bar shows (1200 which is hidden) and 200 as increase in Juice
Fourth bar shows (1400 which is hidden) and 50 as increase in Eggs
Fifth bar shows (1450 which is hidden) and 100 as decrease in Bread
6th bar shows (1350 which is hidden) and 75 as increase in Others
7th bar shows 1425 as total forecat for 2008

(Would be easier if I could attach the spreadsheet...) Someone who has a
nice solution, would like to avoid scripts, due to company policies!

Cheers

bj

One of the things to watch out for is that I have had different versions of
EXCEL handle stacked bar charts differently. On some with the first number
positive A negative second number goes down from the top of the first bas and
on others it goes down from the bottom of the first bar.
I would set a column (A) with the item descriptions
a second column (B) with the first cell being the 2004 total
the following cells in the column
with the equation "=B1+C1
A third column (C) with the changes for each item
a fourth column (D)with the equation "=min(B2+C2,B2)"
a Fifth Column (E) with the equation "=Abs(c2)
Make a stacked bar chart using columns D and E with column A as your x bar
labels.
Select each individual section of rhe bar for column D that you want hidden
and select none for line and fill.

This will get around the different responce to negatives in stacked bar
charts.

Hi,