Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUMIFS and OR

Hi,

How do i combine SUMIFS with the OR-function? I need to check a column
(turnovers) against multiple criteria (columns): date1, date2, status,
country, region.

As long as the criteria has one possible value, no problem (this is the case
with date1&2, status and country).

But, for the criteria "Region" i need to determine whether it meets multiple
criteria ("sum if" region=WE "OR" region=US "OR" region=RU).

I tried to include the OR-function (like i use the "greater then" symbol:
""&). I would prefer not to use multiple SUMIFS, because then i get an
enourmous long formula.

Anybody any advice? Thanks in advance!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The OR function has to go first for example:
=OR(SUMIF(A2:A5,"WE",B2:B5),SUMIF(A2:A5,"US",B2:B5 ))

--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button.
Regards,

Michael Arch.

"M.S. Westerbeek" wrote:

Hi,

How do i combine SUMIFS with the OR-function? I need to check a column
(turnovers) against multiple criteria (columns): date1, date2, status,
country, region.

As long as the criteria has one possible value, no problem (this is the case
with date1&2, status and country).

But, for the criteria "Region" i need to determine whether it meets multiple
criteria ("sum if" region=WE "OR" region=US "OR" region=RU).

I tried to include the OR-function (like i use the "greater then" symbol:
""&). I would prefer not to use multiple SUMIFS, because then i get an
enourmous long formula.

Anybody any advice? Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This only returns true or false, if you are trying to add them together use
this:
=IF(OR(SUMIF(A2:A5,"RU",B2:B5),SUMIF(A2:A5,"WE",B2 :B5),SUMIF(A2:A5,"US",B2:B5),SUMIF(A2:A5,"PE",B2:B 5)),SUM(B2:B5),"")
--

"M.S. Westerbeek" wrote:

Hi,

How do i combine SUMIFS with the OR-function? I need to check a column
(turnovers) against multiple criteria (columns): date1, date2, status,
country, region.

As long as the criteria has one possible value, no problem (this is the case
with date1&2, status and country).

But, for the criteria "Region" i need to determine whether it meets multiple
criteria ("sum if" region=WE "OR" region=US "OR" region=RU).

I tried to include the OR-function (like i use the "greater then" symbol:
""&). I would prefer not to use multiple SUMIFS, because then i get an
enourmous long formula.

Anybody any advice? Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Michael" wrote...
This only returns true or false, if you are trying to add them together
use this:

=IF(OR(SUMIF(A2:A5,"RU",B2:B5),SUMIF(A2:A5,"WE",B 2:B5),
SUMIF(A2:A5,"US",B2:B5),SUMIF(A2:A5,"PE",B2:B5)), SUM(B2:B5),"")
--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button.

How could this have been useful to anyone except as an example of a
respondent who doesn't understand Excel formulas or can't comprehend OP's
questions?

OR(SUMIF(A2:A5,"RU",B2:B5),SUMIF(A2:A5,"WE",B2:B5) ,
SUMIF(A2:A5,"US",B2:B5),SUMIF(A2:A5,"PE",B2:B5))

is very close to a COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS expression. It'd only be false
when the sums corresponding to RU, WE ir US in col A are each zero, but col
B contains positive, negative or zero values, then there could be col A
entries that nevertheless sum to 0. Do you really believe the OP would want
to display "" in that case?