Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using a cell in formula to create a reference

Try this:

=INDIRECT(A8&B8)

HTH,
Elkar

"ek" wrote:

Below is a sample of a spreadsheet that I am using. The top part is my "raw
data area", and the bottom part is my "calculation area". I want to create a
formula in C8 that references A8 for the column, and B8 for the row. So when
I drag C10 down it will reference A11 and B11, etc. Can anyone help me? Thank
you.

A B C
1 Data Area
2 Red Yellow
3 Blue Green
4 Purple Orange
5 Pink Black

6 Calculation area
7 Column Row Response
8 A 3 Red
9 B 3 Yellow

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
EK EK is offline

Thank you... however i am trying to use a formula such as this:

=SLOPE(D9:D94,$DK9:$DK94)

Rather than reference D9:D94 in the formula, I'd like to be able to
reference cells with the text "D9" and "D94". That way i will be able to
change calculations on the fly and easy see the inputs. ANy ideas? Thank you.

"Elkar" wrote:

Try this:

=INDIRECT(A8&B8)

HTH,
Elkar

"ek" wrote:

Below is a sample of a spreadsheet that I am using. The top part is my "raw
data area", and the bottom part is my "calculation area". I want to create a
formula in C8 that references A8 for the column, and B8 for the row. So when
I drag C10 down it will reference A11 and B11, etc. Can anyone help me? Thank
you.

A B C
1 Data Area
2 Red Yellow
3 Blue Green
4 Purple Orange
5 Pink Black

6 Calculation area
7 Column Row Response
8 A 3 Red
9 B 3 Yellow

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
EK EK is offline

Thank you... I think this will work, however you're using a characters I am
not familiar with. What is the quotation command " and what is it doing in
this function?

Thank you for your assistance!

"Elkar" wrote:

It should still work, just place the INDIRECT function inside of your SLOPE
function. Something like:

=SLOPE(INDIRECT(A8&B8&":"&A9&B9),$DK9:$DK94)

This assumes that cells A8:B9 contain the following:

A B
8 D 9
9 D 94

HTH,
Elkar

"ek" wrote:

Thank you... however i am trying to use a formula such as this:

=SLOPE(D9:D94,$DK9:$DK94)

Rather than reference D9:D94 in the formula, I'd like to be able to
reference cells with the text "D9" and "D94". That way i will be able to
change calculations on the fly and easy see the inputs. ANy ideas? Thank you.

"Elkar" wrote:

Try this:

=INDIRECT(A8&B8)

HTH,
Elkar

"ek" wrote:

Below is a sample of a spreadsheet that I am using. The top part is my "raw
data area", and the bottom part is my "calculation area". I want to create a
formula in C8 that references A8 for the column, and B8 for the row. So when
I drag C10 down it will reference A11 and B11, etc. Can anyone help me? Thank
you.

A B C
1 Data Area
2 Red Yellow
3 Blue Green
4 Purple Orange
5 Pink Black

6 Calculation area
7 Column Row Response
8 A 3 Red
9 B 3 Yellow

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
EK EK is offline

Thank you.

"Elkar" wrote:

The " just tell Excel to treat whatever is placed inside of them as text.
Thus, by placing the : inside quotes, you can create a range inside of the
INDIRECT function.

So, in the below example, what the INDIRECT function actually returns to the
SLOPE function is:

D9:D94

Since "D" was in cell A8, "9" was in cell B8, the : was included in quotes,
"D" was in cell A9, and "94" was in cell B9.

Hopefully that makes sense.

"ek" wrote:

Thank you... however i am trying to use a formula such as this:

=SLOPE(D9:D94,$DK9:$DK94)

Rather than reference D9:D94 in the formula, I'd like to be able to
reference cells with the text "D9" and "D94". That way i will be able to
change calculations on the fly and easy see the inputs. ANy ideas? Thank you.

"Elkar" wrote:

Try this:

=INDIRECT(A8&B8)

HTH,
Elkar

"ek" wrote:

Below is a sample of a spreadsheet that I am using. The top part is my "raw
data area", and the bottom part is my "calculation area". I want to create a
formula in C8 that references A8 for the column, and B8 for the row. So when
I drag C10 down it will reference A11 and B11, etc. Can anyone help me? Thank
you.

A B C
1 Data Area
2 Red Yellow
3 Blue Green
4 Purple Orange
5 Pink Black

6 Calculation area
7 Column Row Response
8 A 3 Red
9 B 3 Yellow

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"ek" wrote:

Thank you... however i am trying to use a formula such as this:

=SLOPE(D9:D94,$DK9:$DK94)

Rather than reference D9:D94 in the formula, I'd like to be able to
reference cells with the text "D9" and "D94". That way i will be able to
change calculations on the fly and easy see the inputs. ANy ideas? Thank you.

"Elkar" wrote:

Try this:

=INDIRECT(A8&B8)

HTH,
Elkar

"ek" wrote:

Below is a sample of a spreadsheet that I am using. The top part is my "raw
data area", and the bottom part is my "calculation area". I want to create a
formula in C8 that references A8 for the column, and B8 for the row. So when
I drag C10 down it will reference A11 and B11, etc. Can anyone help me? Thank
you.

A B C
1 Data Area
2 Red Yellow
3 Blue Green
4 Purple Orange
5 Pink Black

6 Calculation area
7 Column Row Response
8 A 3 Red
9 B 3 Yellow

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"ek" wrote:

Thank you... however i am trying to use a formula such as this:

=SLOPE(D9:D94,$DK9:$DK94)

Rather than reference D9:D94 in the formula, I'd like to be able to
reference cells with the text "D9" and "D94". That way i will be able to
change calculations on the fly and easy see the inputs. ANy ideas? Thank you.

"Elkar" wrote:

Try this:

=INDIRECT(A8&B8)

HTH,