Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Merged cell data tabulated in columns

I am trying to get a row of data displayed suming the data in merged cells
above.

Example
Merged cell of 40 days with "10 pilots / 10 Sensors" in the text.

additional merged cells in that are spread through the days of the year with
the same/similar text "19 pilots/8 sensors"

I am merely trying to show a sum from the columns above (without typing into
each individual row/column field the same number for 60-80 days in a row)
indicating exact numbers of pilots and sensors at the bottom of the
spreadsheet for each given day of the year.

In addition I would like to move the merged cells left and right to allow
the high points and low points to be managed.

Is this possible?
--
TazViper
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

we need more information. I don't understand what you want, and what you
have that you want to "Merge" I don't know whether what you mean by merge is
what I meaan when I say merge. Merge in Excel normally means effectively
combining 2 or more cells to act as one cell you effectively elimiante all of
the cells in the merged group except the upper left. I think you want to
combine information from other cells into one cell.
where are the days, pilots and sensors listed?
are they already in merged cells?

"James" wrote:

I am trying to get a row of data displayed suming the data in merged cells
above.

Example
Merged cell of 40 days with "10 pilots / 10 Sensors" in the text.

additional merged cells in that are spread through the days of the year with
the same/similar text "19 pilots/8 sensors"

I am merely trying to show a sum from the columns above (without typing into
each individual row/column field the same number for 60-80 days in a row)
indicating exact numbers of pilots and sensors at the bottom of the
spreadsheet for each given day of the year.

In addition I would like to move the merged cells left and right to allow
the high points and low points to be managed.

Is this possible?
--
TazViper

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The first row is the date 21 Nov 22 Nov 23 Nov (etc)
The second and other rows intermittently have merged cells (same as you
described) with "Class 06-50 10 Pilots/10 Sensors" written in that merged
cell. the merged cells encompass the dates (around 60 workdays) above them.
At the bottom of the sheet are additional rows with totals in each column
(date) for number of Pilots and Sensors. It looks like this:

21 Nov 22 Nov 23 Nov 24 Nov
25 Nov

Class 06-68 10 Pilots/8 Sensors

Class 06-69 7
Pilots/7 Sensors

Total Student Pilot load 10 17 17 17 7
Total Sensor Load 8 15 15 15 7
There's a bunch more data in the spreadsheet, additional classes for an
entire year, events the classes are doing etc., but if I can use a formula to
do the above then follow on changes will be much easier to manage. Thanks
for your help.
By the way I had an idea if I just put PPPPPPP for seven pilots then did
a countif function, it might work. Is there a way to avoid complicating the
sheet by just tabulating the actual numbers (10 Pilots+10 Pilots = 20 in the
pilot row on a given date column.

--
TazViper

"James" wrote:

I am trying to get a row of data displayed suming the data in merged cells
above.

Example
Merged cell of 40 days with "10 pilots / 10 Sensors" in the text.

additional merged cells in that are spread through the days of the year with
the same/similar text "19 pilots/8 sensors"

I am merely trying to show a sum from the columns above (without typing into
each individual row/column field the same number for 60-80 days in a row)
indicating exact numbers of pilots and sensors at the bottom of the
spreadsheet for each given day of the year.

In addition I would like to move the merged cells left and right to allow
the high points and low points to be managed.

Is this possible?
--
TazViper

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

it would be much simpler if you used hidden columns to put the class info,
number of pilots and number of sensors, then in your merged cells use
something like
="class "&class_cell&" "&pilots_cell&" pilots/"&sensors_cell&" sensors"

you can extract the numbers from the text
If the "class XX-XX " is always the same and there won't be more than 2
digit pilots and sensors you could use
=value(trim(mid(merge_cell,13,2))) for the number of pilots and
=value(trim(mid(merge_cell,find("/",A1)+1,2))) for the number of sensors