Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Index Match question.

Hi All,

I have been using Index Match formulas for a while, but this one instance
has me stumped.

Instead of an array of elements I have a matrix, and the Match function does
not work.

Here is how my data is in the source sheet:

Row 1: Label1 Label2 Label3
Row 2: A B C
Row 3: D E
Row 4: F G

In another summary sheet I have

Cloumn1 Column 2
A Need function to return Label1
B Need function to return Label2
C Need function to return Label3
D Need function to return Label1
E Need function to return Label2
F Need function to return Label1
G Need function to return Label2

Is it possible to use Vlookup for the function I need in Column 2?
I need a function to search through the matrix and return the label above
the found value.
Thanks in advance!
Stan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On 2 Aug, 14:04, Stan wrote:
[...]

As always, lots of methods exist (I know I've read some of them) but
Microsoft themselves have a method...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275170

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you for your reply.
I do not think that the example on that page solves my problem though -
It explains how to look up an element on two values using & on two arrays.
I need to return a label that the elemnt is under, I am not searching on two
criteria, only one.

" wrote:

On 2 Aug, 14:04, Stan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

" wrote:
On 2 Aug, 14:04, Stan wrote:
[...]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275170- Hide quoted text -

Ok, lets try this version - it assumes your data is in A2:C4 and is an
array formula

=OFFSET(A1,0,MAX(IF(A2:C4=A9,COLUMN(A2:C4),0))-1)

entered with Ctrl Shift Enter - A9 in this instance is the value I'm
trying to match

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

" wrote:
On 2 Aug, 14:04, Stan wrote:
[...]

trying to match- Hide quoted text -

I should PROBABLY mention that I didn't put in anything to cater for a
NON match!!! Not sure if this is important, at the moment you will
get a REF error with a non matching value

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

" wrote:
On 2 Aug, 14:04, Stan wrote:
[...]

No problem - I fixed that with a simple if(iserror(blah),"Nata",Blah)
The real trick is figguring out how to handle more than one occurence.
Right now i just counif and return "more that one occurence" in the output
cell.
Thanks again