Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jc jc is offline

Default Formatting a cell to turn "white" when filled in...

Hey guys
I've created a "sheet" for our sales guys to fill out...i've given them a
drop-down (validation list) box with their accounts that they can choose
from. I'd like to have the cells grey until they choose their account name
this way they know what they need to fill out...then when they choose their
account name, I want the cell to fill in white (normal)...i've tried to do it
via conditional formatting, but can't seem to figure it out. Any help would
be great!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!
-JC
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You talk about "the cells" and "the cell". Which cell/cells are to have
condtional formatting?

For the Data Validation cell(s) , set the background to grey and then:

Highlight cell(s):

FormulaIs: =B2<""
Pattern: No colour

HTH

"JC" wrote:

Hey guys
I've created a "sheet" for our sales guys to fill out...i've given them a
drop-down (validation list) box with their accounts that they can choose
from. I'd like to have the cells grey until they choose their account name
this way they know what they need to fill out...then when they choose their
account name, I want the cell to fill in white (normal)...i've tried to do it
via conditional formatting, but can't seem to figure it out. Any help would
be great!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!
-JC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the range of cells (I used D10:D20)
Use command Format | Conditional Formatting
In dialog box, set to Formula Is and enter =ISBLANK(D10); click Format
button; open Pattern tab and select a grey tone
Click OK twice to close dialog
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JC" wrote in message
Hey guys
I've created a "sheet" for our sales guys to fill out...i've given them a
drop-down (validation list) box with their accounts that they can choose
from. I'd like to have the cells grey until they choose their account
name
this way they know what they need to fill out...then when they choose
their
account name, I want the cell to fill in white (normal)...i've tried to do
it
via conditional formatting, but can't seem to figure it out. Any help
would
be great!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!
-JC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jc jc is offline

Toppers:
That formula is EXACTLY what is was looking for!!! I was close...i was one
quotation off! Thank-you VERY much for your prompt response!!!!