Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Pivot Tables with text

I need a Pivot table that shows skill levels for equipment
scenario:
to repair a boiler, From a Pivot Table the saleman would bring up Boiler and
see who would be the right man to repair

I have
12 pieces of equipment
15 techs
5 skill levels

No numeric data, I do need to compare numbers
--
Thanks again, Herz and His
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

Build the Pivot Table the way you want to....
in the DATA area: Drag one of your text fields (it will default to "Count of "

Then finish the Pivot Table.
Hide the Total column

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"HERZHIS" wrote:

I need a Pivot table that shows skill levels for equipment
scenario:
to repair a boiler, From a Pivot Table the saleman would bring up Boiler and
see who would be the right man to repair

I have
12 pieces of equipment
15 techs
5 skill levels

No numeric data, I do need to compare numbers
--
Thanks again, Herz and His

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

here is an example of my table

A B C
BOILER JACK SMITH STRONG
BOILER DON BETZ MODERATE
BOILER DOUG WEBBER WEAK
BOILER SCOTT JONES STRONG

What I want to analyze is the skill strength for the equipment, a salemen
can use the pivot table and choose the equipment and see what tech has
strongest knowledge of the equipment
--
Thanks again, Herz and His

"HERZHIS" wrote:

I need a Pivot table that shows skill levels for equipment
scenario:
to repair a boiler, From a Pivot Table the saleman would bring up Boiler and
see who would be the right man to repair

I have
12 pieces of equipment
15 techs
5 skill levels

No numeric data, I do need to compare numbers
--
Thanks again, Herz and His

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's what I had in mind...

Using a slightly edited version of your posted data in A1:C5:
Equip Name Skill
BOILER JACK_SMITH STRONG
BOILER DON_BETZ MODERATE
BOILER DOUG_WEBBER WEAK
BOILER SCOTT_JONES STRONG

Select A1:C5
<data<pivot table<Excel list
Click [Next] until Step 3 of 3
Click [Layout]

ROW:
Drag Equip, Skill, and Name here
DATA: Drag Skill here (it will display as Count of Skill)
Click [OK]
Select a destintation and Click [Finish]
Right Click on each field and set subtotals to None

The end result would look like this:
Equip Skill Name Total
BOILER MODERATE DON_BETZ 1
STRONG JACK_SMITH 1
SCOTT_JONES 1
WEAK DOUG_WEBBER 1

By selecting the Equip dropdown you can isolate a Skill level and select a
Name with that level.