Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Merging Columns

I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for proper grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

In C1
=A1&" "&B1
Copy down as far as required.
Copy column CPastes Special back over the formulae to "fix" the values.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Titanium" wrote in message
I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean
up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for proper
grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In C1 enter =A1 & " " & B1

Double-click on fill handle of C1 to copy down.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 08:06:02 -0700, Titanium
wrote:

I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for proper grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How so unless your data is not as you originally described it?

A1 = first
B1 = last

A2 = next first
B2 = next last

In C1 using the formula given you will get "first last"

In C2 you will get "nextfirst next last"

Gord

"Titanium" wrote in message
I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean
up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for proper
grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Gord, I could be wrong, but I believe the reason Roger's formula didn't work
for me is because of the spacing. Your formula worked perfectly fine. I do
appreciate the help of both Roger and yourself. You saved me countless hours
of hellish copy & pasting monotony... :)

wrote:

I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for proper grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Our formulas were basically the same.

Mine had a couple of extra spaces for clarity only.

=A1 & " " & B1

Roger left them out.

=A1&" "&B1

No difference in function.

Gord

wrote:

I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for proper grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not that I'm questioning the formula, or putting Roger down...
But apparently the spaces do have some effect on the end result...

As I've said for many years computers and their functions boil down to two
things... 1's for on, true or working... and 0's for off, false and not
working...

I appreciate all the help from everyone who offered a hand...

wrote:

I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for proper grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi
Not that I am offended in any way, but as Gord says his formula and mine are
identical, other than the way Gord typed his for clarity.

Both will work in an identical manner - they cannot do otherwise.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

wrote:

I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean
up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for
proper grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right
behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I will certainly admit when I'm wrong... and I am...

I'm really baffled as to what I did... but after retesting the formula it
did work.

What orginally happened was that it merged every other row...and left one
row blank...

The results didn't make the slighest bit of sense, but I had to go with what
I saw...

Again, thanks for your help.

wrote:

I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean
up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for
proper grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right
behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I was having this same problem...However the two columns I am trying to merge
have a date and the time. So when I merge the two columns I am getting the
number form of the date in return. I have tried changing the format to show
the date and the time but its still returning the number? What should I do
to fix this problem?

B2=7/23/07
C2=0:00:16

What I want in D2 is: 7/23/07 0:00:16
What I am getting is: 39286 0.00185185....
"Titanium" wrote:

I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for proper grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In your situation, don't try to do a text concatenation.
Just use =B2+C2 and format the cell appropriately, such as:
mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss
--
David Biddulph

"Titanium" wrote:

I am trying to 'make one' a number of columns...
Essentially I have several thousand rows of data that I need to clean
up...
What I would like to accomplish is Column A + B = AB

Column A Data: I need this one first
Column B Data: and this one comes right behind with a space for proper
grammer
To equal one column: I need this one first and this one comes right
behind
with a space for proper grammer.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ti

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi was trying to merge two colums in to one, and both columns have about 500
client lists. In column A I have first name and in Column B I had Clients
last name. But I wanted to do both in on columns. So instead of doing one at
a time I created the following formula in C 1
=CONCATENATE(Sheet1!$A:$A&" "&Sheet1!$B:$B)
.... then I select my Formula in C1, then select all the way to client nuber
500 (C500), that means I have highlighted the column C1 to C500, then click
Fill, then click down. That makes the same exact formula from C1 to

C500. then enter. That will merge all the values in column A and column B.
Note: pls note in the formula there two same words Sheet1. That is the
sheet you are working on. Normally when we open excel we have Sheet1, Sheet2
and Sheet3 at the bottom of the worksheet we are currently working. So If you
already renamed it pls use your name instead of Sheet1, or Sheet2 if you are
working on sheet 2.
--
www.wilshiretrans.com
Limos, Taxis, Shuttles, Stretches, and Buses.