Default merging text columns

I have imported a txt file that has column A= Name, B= Address, C= City
and State. There is an open row between each each text row. I would
like to merge the columns so the name is over the address, the city
under the address, so it shows as a mailing label. I could then import
it into a Word document and make mailing labels out of this file. I am
very weak with Excel programming. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Anne Troy

Hugh: I don't think anyone will help you accomplish what you've asked for.
:)
That's because you should keep it in the format you have it, and use mail
merge to create the labels. See this:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/m...osoft_word.htm

Now, if you do open it in Excel, and have a blank row between each record,
then you can select column A (I am assuming that if the row is blank in
column A, it's also blank in all other columns), hit Edit--Go to--Special
and choose Blanks. Then hit Edit--Delete, when prompted choose Entire Row.
Then your data should be ideal for mail merge...at least from what I can
understand from your post.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have imported a txt file that has column A= Name, B= Address, C= City
and State. There is an open row between each each text row. I would
like to merge the columns so the name is over the address, the city
under the address, so it shows as a mailing label. I could then import
it into a Word document and make mailing labels out of this file. I am
very weak with Excel programming. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Ragdyer

*DON'T DO IT*

Right now you have to proper set-up.

Check out this link for instructions on how to use XL data in Word to create
labels:

HTH,

RD

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have imported a txt file that has column A= Name, B= Address, C= City
and State. There is an open row between each each text row. I would
like to merge the columns so the name is over the address, the city
under the address, so it shows as a mailing label. I could then import
it into a Word document and make mailing labels out of this file. I am
very weak with Excel programming. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

I'm an idiot, can anybody put the info from that web site referal into
language that is idiot proof.

Anne Troy

Let us know the version.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm an idiot, can anybody put the info from that web site referal into
language that is idiot proof.

Okay,
Here is how you do it. I had a neighbor/friend decipher the website
previously listed and here it is.

Make sure the Zip is in the same cell as the State. The Excel file MUST
have headers over the column i.e. name, add, city. Doing this
eliminates all the difficult info from the previously mentioned web
site. Save the excel document as a text file.

Open Word, blank document, under tools select mail merge

Create mailing labels new document

Get data Data source open appropriate file

Set up main document select the appropriate label insert merge field
name return insert merge field add return insert merge field city etc...

OK

Merge

New document

Merge

Whoopee! you now have mailing labels!!!

Thanks for all your help!!

Anne Troy

Well, Hugh. You do not have to save it as a text file. You don't have to
make sure the zip is in the same cell as the state, tho it probably doesn't
hurt. Also, it sounds like you're using Word 97 or 2000. I could have
provided those instructions specifically if you'd provided the version.
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com