Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need to creat dependent drop down list

Dear Expert,

I am creating a reporting format in excel. I am finding it difficult to
make a drop down cells dependent on the other cell value.

e.g. In one column i already defined a drop down list of some stages. I
need one more drop down list in other column which will be dependent on the
selection of the text in first drop down list. How do i go about this. Is
there any solution in excel for this.

Rgds,
Manish

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Manish
One of the tricks consists of naming the dependent lists using a defined
name with either a prefix or suffix identifying the previous choice made and
building the list using worksheet function INDIRECT.
eg:
1- Main List in A1:
CARS
MOTORBIKES
2 - Dependent List in A2
Data Validation, allow List, Source = INDIRECT(A2 & "LIST")

Dependent lists in some other part of your worksheet
CAR list - defined name = CARSLIST
MOTORBIKE list - defined name = MOTORBIKESLIST

HTH
Cordially
Pascal