Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Looking up prices

I will try to make this easy to understand, or atleast as much as possiable.

What I am trying to do is make a Sales Quote for send to customers. I have
most of what I am wanting to do done on it. But the one thing that I would
like to do, I haven't quite figured out yet.

Basicly, I want to make my life easier when I do a quote. Right now I have
to open another spreadsheet with my prices and look everything up.

So, what I want to do is for me to just type in an item number and excel
goes and looks it up. Either in the same book or different one, it doesn't
matter. And fill in the price's where it needs to be filled in at.

Hopefully I have made it clear enough to understand what I am asking for.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Create a table in Columns A & B on a w/sheet (say Sheet2):

Column A has item
Column B Price of item

Let's say you type your item munber in cell A2 on Sheet1 and you want Price
in B2

in B2:

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A1:B100,2,0)

Change range (1:100) to suit

this will return the price.

You might consider entering the item using Data Validation.

If you do, set

Allow: List

Source: =Sheet2!A1:A100

which points to the Items in your price table.

Saves both typing and typing errors.

HTH

"BEH1230" wrote:

I will try to make this easy to understand, or atleast as much as possiable.

What I am trying to do is make a Sales Quote for send to customers. I have
most of what I am wanting to do done on it. But the one thing that I would
like to do, I haven't quite figured out yet.

Basicly, I want to make my life easier when I do a quote. Right now I have
to open another spreadsheet with my prices and look everything up.

So, what I want to do is for me to just type in an item number and excel
goes and looks it up. Either in the same book or different one, it doesn't
matter. And fill in the price's where it needs to be filled in at.

Hopefully I have made it clear enough to understand what I am asking for.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks again, with a little modifaction it worked like a charm. This is
exactly what I needed. I not sure to do data validation at this moment but I
will give it a try.

Thanks again