Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Simple if, if ?

I have 1's or 0's in row 3 , D E F G H I J
Col L sums D:J
If the sum of D3:J3 does not = 5 (col L), I want an "alert" in K3, such as:
=IF(L3<5,"Alert","")

However, I also need it to additionally refer to another cell (C3)

Something to the effect: If there is text in C3, (maybe C30 ??), and the
above "Alert' would be in K3, then give me that ALERT, but, if there is
nothing in C3, even if the "Alert' would be produced in K3 because of the
above formula, I don't want the "Alert". I want nothing "".

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Maybe: =IF(AND(ISTEXT(C3),L3<5),"Alert","")
--
Max
Singapore
"Steve" wrote:
I have 1's or 0's in row 3 , D E F G H I J
Col L sums D:J
If the sum of D3:J3 does not = 5 (col L), I want an "alert" in K3, such as:
=IF(L3<5,"Alert","")

However, I also need it to additionally refer to another cell (C3)

Something to the effect: If there is text in C3, (maybe C30 ??), and the
above "Alert' would be in K3, then give me that ALERT, but, if there is
nothing in C3, even if the "Alert' would be produced in K3 because of the
above formula, I don't want the "Alert". I want nothing "".

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Both the LEN & the Text solutions are close, but not totally correct.
The LEN ic correctly showing "" when nothing in B & nothing in D:J, however,
it is also not showing nothing when nothing in B but D:J adds up to 7 This
should produce the Alert.

The Text is correctly showing the Alert when nothing in B and D:J adds up
to 7, however, also showing Alert when nothing in B and nothing ib D:J. This
should be "".

Thanks,

"Elkar" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(AND(LEN(C3)0,L3<5),"Alert","")

HTH,
Elkar

"Steve" wrote:

I have 1's or 0's in row 3 , D E F G H I J
Col L sums D:J
If the sum of D3:J3 does not = 5 (col L), I want an "alert" in K3, such as:
=IF(L3<5,"Alert","")

However, I also need it to additionally refer to another cell (C3)

Something to the effect: If there is text in C3, (maybe C30 ??), and the
above "Alert' would be in K3, then give me that ALERT, but, if there is
nothing in C3, even if the "Alert' would be produced in K3 because of the
above formula, I don't want the "Alert". I want nothing "".

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Correction ( I had formula slighly worng):

Both solutions are correctly showing "" when nothing in B & nothing in D:J,

"Steve" wrote:

Both the LEN & the Text solutions are close, but not totally correct.
The LEN ic correctly showing "" when nothing in B & nothing in D:J, however,
it is also not showing nothing when nothing in B but D:J adds up to 7 This
should produce the Alert.

The Text is correctly showing the Alert when nothing in B and D:J adds up
to 7, however, also showing Alert when nothing in B and nothing ib D:J. This
should be "".

Thanks,

"Elkar" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(AND(LEN(C3)0,L3<5),"Alert","")

HTH,
Elkar

"Steve" wrote:

I have 1's or 0's in row 3 , D E F G H I J
Col L sums D:J
If the sum of D3:J3 does not = 5 (col L), I want an "alert" in K3, such as:
=IF(L3<5,"Alert","")

However, I also need it to additionally refer to another cell (C3)

Something to the effect: If there is text in C3, (maybe C30 ??), and the
above "Alert' would be in K3, then give me that ALERT, but, if there is
nothing in C3, even if the "Alert' would be produced in K3 because of the
above formula, I don't want the "Alert". I want nothing "".

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nowhere do you mention B in your previous post?

Elkar's formula does what you asked for, if C3 has text and L3 is not 5
return Alert, otherwise return blank. See below

"Something to the effect: If there is text in C3, (maybe C30 ??), and the
above "Alert' would be in K3, then give me that ALERT, but, if there is
nothing in C3, even if the "Alert' would be produced in K3 because of the
above formula, I don't want the "Alert". I want nothing "".

Peo Sjoblom

"Steve" wrote in message
Both the LEN & the Text solutions are close, but not totally correct.
The LEN ic correctly showing "" when nothing in B & nothing in D:J,
however,
it is also not showing nothing when nothing in B but D:J adds up to 7
This
should produce the Alert.

The Text is correctly showing the Alert when nothing in B and D:J adds up
to 7, however, also showing Alert when nothing in B and nothing ib D:J.
This
should be "".

Thanks,

"Elkar" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(AND(LEN(C3)0,L3<5),"Alert","")

HTH,
Elkar

"Steve" wrote:

I have 1's or 0's in row 3 , D E F G H I J
Col L sums D:J
If the sum of D3:J3 does not = 5 (col L), I want an "alert" in K3, such
as:
=IF(L3<5,"Alert","")

However, I also need it to additionally refer to another cell (C3)

Something to the effect: If there is text in C3, (maybe C30 ??), and
the
above "Alert' would be in K3, then give me that ALERT, but, if there is
nothing in C3, even if the "Alert' would be produced in K3 because of
the
above formula, I don't want the "Alert". I want nothing "".

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My mistake.
I did mean C , not B.
And, I obviously didn't explain my needs thoroughly.
I also need the alert if nothing in B, and D thru J do not equal 5.

"Steve" wrote in message
Both the LEN & the Text solutions are close, but not totally correct.
The LEN ic correctly showing "" when nothing in B & nothing in D:J,
however,
it is also not showing nothing when nothing in B but D:J adds up to 7
This
should produce the Alert.

The Text is correctly showing the Alert when nothing in B and D:J adds up
to 7, however, also showing Alert when nothing in B and nothing ib D:J.
This
should be "".

Thanks,

"Elkar" wrote: