Old July 16th 07, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula to return position of the next Non-blank cell in a column

Given the position of a non-blank cell in a column, is there a way to return
the position of the next non-blank cell in the same column?

Example:
The given position of A1 is not blank. There is an unknown number of
consecutive spaces (blank cells) that follow in the same column. Is there a
formula that will tell me the position of the next non-blank cell?

1 Test
2
3
4
5
6 UnknownData

The formula should be able to somehow return the row number or position of
the next non-blank cell, in this case would be row 6 or cell A6. Keep in
mind that the next value is unknown. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Paul

Old July 16th 07, 05:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I had already thought of that, which is pretty easy. But I wanted to try
and achieve this with a formula since I have no other reasons to run code
here.

Any other ideas?

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
How about a macro?
Sub nextnonblankvalue()
MsgBox ActiveCell.End(xlDown)
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Old July 16th 07, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That's pretty cool Don. I think I can make this work.

Thanks a bunch.
Paul

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
Put this in a REGULAR vba module. On the worksheet =nr(a1) or =nr(g3) etc

Function nr(x As Range)
Application.Volatile
nr = x.End(xlDown)
End Function

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Old July 16th 07, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula to return position of the next Non-blank cell in a col

try:

=INDEX(INDIRECT(C1 &":A1000"),MATCH(TRUE,INDIRECT(C1 &":A1000")<"",0),0)

Enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

C1 contains address of the first blank cell AFTER your reference cell e.g A2
in your example

Old July 16th 07, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

... row number ..

=MATCH(INDEX(INDIRECT(C1 &":A100"),MATCH(TRUE,INDIRECT(C1
&":A100")<"",0),0),A:A,0)

with CSE

Old July 16th 07, 06:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the position (address?) of the first non-blank is known then all you need
to do is start looking for the first non-blank after the known.

Based on your sample:

="A"&INDEX(ROW(A2:A20),MATCH("*",A2:A20,0))

Result = A6

Or is there more to it than that?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Old July 16th 07, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you mean that wherever the first occurrence is you want the next
occurrence? If so

=INDEX(A1:A100,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(A1:A100,MATCH(TRUE ,A1:A100<"",0)+1):INDEX(A1:A100,100)<"",0)+MATCH (TRUE,A1:A100<"",0))

array entered

will give you the contents of the next non blank cell in A1:A100, if you
want the cell address

=CELL("address",INDEX(A1:A100,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(A1: A100,MATCH(TRUE,A1:A100<"",0)+1):INDEX(A1:A100,10 0)<"",0)+MATCH(TRUE,A1:A100<"",0)))

the position

=MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(A1:A100,MATCH(TRUE,A1:A100<"",0 )+1):INDEX(A1:A100,100)<"",0)+MATCH(TRUE,A1:A100< "",0)

these are all non volatile

Of course you might want to add a test to make sure it doesn't return an
error if there is 1 or less occurrences in the range like

=IF(COUNTA(A1:A100<=1,"",formula

Peo Sjoblom