Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default shared advice appreciated

Hello,

If i have range of data, process formulation, summary check and print_ranges
spread around my 4 sheets....in one stand alone workbook.
Will it be advisable to place all of the above in one sheet, considering
that 2007version has a larger sheet platform....significantly making it a
stand alone spreadsheet.

At this moment, with excel2003, I am thinking to re-compose my 4 sheets into
one sheet, considering that my data has a range that may increase upon
re-extending the process formulation and summary check to include other extra
variables like estimation cost (which are done on separate workbook).

If this method is advisable, my summary checking will be easy, with due
concern to faster calculation and tracking of acceptable results.

I have not yet used the 2007v (not yet available here).

thanks for reading and advice.

regards,
driller
--
*****
birds of the same feather flock together..birdwise, it''s more worth

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not saying it's a good thing or bad to put everything on a single sheet. But
you really have to think things out in advance with regards to the layout of
the various areas of information on it: how is adding a row or column to any
given area going to affect other data areas that 'share' use of the row or
column?

If speed of summary checking is the critical factor and you think this is
going to speed things up (I'm not convinced it will) then give it a try.

But again, give thought to the results of any changes on that single, large,
multi-function sheet - what are the ripple effects if you forget to "do it
right"? It might keep your life simple to have the data spread across
multiple sheets by 'function' - at least if you have to change the range that
the table/data requires, it won't have as much chance of creating an
unexpected (and possibly undetected) downstream effect.

"driller" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thanks Sir Jerry,

Not saying it's a good thing or bad to put everything on a single sheet. But
you really have to think things out in advance with regards to the layout of
the various areas of information on it: how is adding a row or column to any
given area going to affect other data areas that 'share' use of the row or
column?

**thanks for reminding, precautions are there. I need it to be a standalone
as much as possible to gain link advantage and *direct result.type_count*.
Without worrying that there may be a lost file (#REF!) that could have been
linked with the formulation.
**Last thing precious maybe to have an alarm (macro) for every action that
may produce anytype of error_results <due to accidental Cut/Paste
Insert/delete mouse operation, by me and other users. Please advise if i can
find that macro in the bookshelf.

If speed of summary checking is the critical factor and you think this is
going to speed things up (I'm not convinced it will) then give it a try.

i'm confused now of what's the great 2D reason to upgrade the One Sheet
standalone platform <from 16.8M cells into new 17.1M cells....

Will my one standalone 2003sheet viable for range extensions on one new
2007sheet, assuming that 80% of the 2003sheet are already filled with
data/formulas...?

Assuming I will change nothing from the 2003sheet and save the file as
2007version,
do you think that the speed of calculation between the 2 versions will be
more faster if it is under the 2007version...

looking for more clues.

regards,
driller
--
*****

"driller" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm a little pressed for time, will try to address some things in more detail
later or cover any areas I've not touched on he
#1 - there's not going to be a magic macro to test for all possible errors
you might create by inserting/deleting or otherwise changing the layout of
the One-Sheet. It would probably end up eating most of your processing time
just checking to see if something might have been broken - and too many types
of 'breaks' to test for when dealing with millions of cells!

#2 - in moving data from several sheets into one, you've probably added (or
will add) 'padding' in the form of empty rows/columns to keep the data areas
distinct on the One-Sheet: adding to the number of cells -- what was using
range A1:D10 on a single sheet may now be using from Z1:AE11 on the new sheet
to give empty column on both sides and empty row below it to keep it visibly
identified.

#3 - does speed improve under Excel 2007? That's an unknown - I've
personally had experiences where a process running on a single-core processor
on a system with 1GB RAM would run faster in Excel 2003 than it does on a
dual-core processor (at higher clock speed) with 2GB RAM under Excel 2007.
Seems to be a variable - dependent upon the processes being done. Any
charting/graphing definitely falls into this category as far as I'm concerned.

One thing I always try to think about when designing a project is ease of
maintenance. One thing that helps keep maintenance costs lower is ease of
identifying 'objects' being worked with, such as tables, specific data, etc.
It's easier for the mind to grasp that when data is coming from a worksheet
named MyTaxTables in a range X4:DE904 than it is to figure out what it is
when it is simply a range X4:DE904 on one huge sheet that contains many
tables and all possible data.

I personally think you're probably about to build yourself the Excel
equivalent of the-beast-that-can't-be-tamed, but that's just my opinion. If
the entire worksheet would become static, as in never need any
rows/columns/cells added or removed, I'd say it might be a good thing, but
such actions on a combined One-Sheet would create some very real potential
problems in areas unrelated to the one the change took place in. Planning
for the layout of such a sheet would be crucial to success, and use of named
ranges would probably be an absolute must to keep things from falling apart
VERY early in the game.

thanks Sir Jerry,