Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default CREATE DATA FORM FOR DEPENDANT DROPDOWN LIST IN EXCEL

I need to enter data in rows under around 5 column headings
Column A has a dropdown list covering around 6 items .- Each of these 6
items have 2 to 3 dependent items coming under and then these dependent items
under column B have around 3 to 4 dependent items under column C - etc etc
Can someone help me to create a dataform that would only allow to pick data
that is dependent upon previous left column .and thus enter the data in an
empty row.
Subsequently I have a pivot which picks up all this entered data -i dont
need help on that - but only on the data entry form
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See Debra Dalgleish's instructions on working with Dependent Lists:

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Rohin Bhatia" wrote:

I need to enter data in rows under around 5 column headings
Column A has a dropdown list covering around 6 items .- Each of these 6
items have 2 to 3 dependent items coming under and then these dependent items
under column B have around 3 to 4 dependent items under column C - etc etc
Can someone help me to create a dataform that would only allow to pick data
that is dependent upon previous left column .and thus enter the data in an
empty row.
Subsequently I have a pivot which picks up all this entered data -i dont
need help on that - but only on the data entry form
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dear Ron
thanks for a quick reply - I did try this before but seems to work only for
two colums
Plus - how to create the data form ?
Regds
Rohin

"Rohin Bhatia" wrote:

I need to enter data in rows under around 5 column headings
Column A has a dropdown list covering around 6 items .- Each of these 6
items have 2 to 3 dependent items coming under and then these dependent items
under column B have around 3 to 4 dependent items under column C - etc etc
Can someone help me to create a dataform that would only allow to pick data
that is dependent upon previous left column .and thus enter the data in an
empty row.
Subsequently I have a pivot which picks up all this entered data -i dont
need help on that - but only on the data entry form
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The Contextures website only used 2 dependent lists to exhibit the concept.
You can use that technique for as many columns as you need. Perhaps if you
posted more details about your situation we could offer more help.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Rohin Bhatia" wrote:

I need to enter data in rows under around 5 column headings
Column A has a dropdown list covering around 6 items .- Each of these 6
items have 2 to 3 dependent items coming under and then these dependent items
under column B have around 3 to 4 dependent items under column C - etc etc
Can someone help me to create a dataform that would only allow to pick data
that is dependent upon previous left column .and thus enter the data in an
empty row.
Subsequently I have a pivot which picks up all this entered data -i dont
need help on that - but only on the data entry form
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Ron
I have re checked and reduced the data to 4 columns only - works ok till 3rd
column - but in the 4th column it picks up dependancy only linked to 3rd
column.thus data in 4th column is all wrong.
The data in the 4th column has to link with dependancy on the 3rd column as
well as the 2nd column- ( like it works ok when u use filters say for all
columns ).How do I solve this - I have used the OFFSET / match formula etc .
thanks
Rohin