Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I count items based upon two separate values?

How do I get Excel to count the number of times two or more given values
occur together? I have a list of projects and one of the columns is "Area"
and another column is "Size." The "area" column has repeating values and
those values have different corresponding "size" values. How do I get Excel
to count the number of time a given combination of "area" and "size" occurs?
For example, "Far East" and "5-1/2"? There would be multiple "Far East"
entries but I am only interested in the number of time "5-1/2" occurs with
"Far East."

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The SUMPRODUCT function will work here. Let's assume your Area is in column
A and Size is in column B.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="Far East"),--(B1:B100="5-1/2"))

HTH,
Elkar