Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Insert a column within a range of cells

I need to insert a column into a range of cells without inserting a column in
the whole worksheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It sounds like you don't really want to insert a column. You just
want to insert some cells in some selected rows. If you highlight the
range of cells where you want to insert the "column" then click Insert
- Cells you will be prompted to "Shift cells right", "Shift cells
down", "Entire row" or "Entire column". I suspect from your
description you will want to "shift cells right" since that will be
like inserting a column, for a specific group of rows.

Good luck.

Ken
Norfolk, Va

On Jun 22, 4:03 pm, Retirement Guy
wrote:
I need to insert a column into a range of cells without inserting a column in
the whole worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried that, but perhaps I am explaining it incorrectly. I want to split
the cell into two cells, and maintian the column without adding another
column. If that makes sense...........

wrote:
I need to insert a column into a range of cells without inserting a column in
the whole worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What do you expect to see above and below the range of split cells?

You could merge the cells above and below and you would effectively
have a range of rows where there are two columns of total width equal
to the one column above and below; but, merged cells suck. They would
have to be merged a row at a time (or through code) and in the end you
would have a lot of merged cells and merged cells are to be avoided;
not necessarily at all costs, but, usually there is a better way.

Ken

wrote:
I need to insert a column into a range of cells without inserting a column in
the whole worksheet.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cannot be done.

Try this.

Select a range of cells in one column with the range.

InsertShift cells Right

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP