Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bee Bee is offline

Default excel calculates after each cell entry

How can I stop excel calculating after each entry i enter into a cell.
The calculation can take up to 15 seconds to calculate I can Tab to the next
cell when entering text but it starts to calculate and when I enter figures
then I cannot move to next row till the calculation has finished.
The last line on the screen just above Start button changes from Ready to
show Calculating Cells: 15% then changes back to Ready after it goes through
to approx 75%
I have checked ToolOptionsCalculation and I have Calculation on Automatic
and Work sheet Options has a tick in Update remote references and save
external link values.
This is the first time this has happened.
I have excel 2000.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Set ToolsOptionsCalculation to Manual and recalc with F9

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"bee" wrote in message ...
| How can I stop excel calculating after each entry i enter into a cell.
| The calculation can take up to 15 seconds to calculate I can Tab to the next
| cell when entering text but it starts to calculate and when I enter figures
| then I cannot move to next row till the calculation has finished.
| The last line on the screen just above Start button changes from Ready to
| show Calculating Cells: 15% then changes back to Ready after it goes through
| to approx 75%
| I have checked ToolOptionsCalculation and I have Calculation on Automatic
| and Work sheet Options has a tick in Update remote references and save
| external link values.
| This is the first time this has happened.
| I have excel 2000.
| Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bee Bee is offline

Thank you for your advice
I have selected Manual and have entered tick into Recalculate before save
and clicked OK.
I have then entered some data and then pressed F9 but it does not calculate.
I have then clicked on Calc Now (F9) and it calculates but it is also slow.
How do I get it to work on F9.
Thank you

"bee" wrote:

How can I stop excel calculating after each entry i enter into a cell.
The calculation can take up to 15 seconds to calculate I can Tab to the next
cell when entering text but it starts to calculate and when I enter figures
then I cannot move to next row till the calculation has finished.
The last line on the screen just above Start button changes from Ready to
show Calculating Cells: 15% then changes back to Ready after it goes through
to approx 75%
I have checked ToolOptionsCalculation and I have Calculation on Automatic
and Work sheet Options has a tick in Update remote references and save
external link values.
This is the first time this has happened.
I have excel 2000.
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bee Bee is offline

Thank you
Are you saying that I have to go to ToolsOptionsand click on Calc Now (F9)
each time I want to calculate as when I select Manual and click OK then
Calculate comes up on last line but the calculation does not take place until
I go back and select CALC NOW (F9)