Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default trouble locking specific cells

I'm having problems locking a specific set of cells in my
spreadsheet. The issue is mainly that I will specify what cells I
want locked and what users are allowed to change, but Excel leaves
some extra cells unlocked for no reason that I can discern. What am I
doing wrong?

The specifics:
- I tell Excel that I want only the following cells unlocked for
editing: D13:G19, I13:J19, D27:G33, I27:J33, F52
- Excel does what I tell it to do but also leaves the following cells
unlocked: B22:K22, B37:K37

Is there any possible reason for this odd behaviour?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the ranges you think should be locked B22:K22, B37:K37 and

Format|Cells|protection tab

Remove and replace the checkmark in Locked.

Protect the sheet and see what happens.

Mike

" wrote:

I'm having problems locking a specific set of cells in my
spreadsheet. The issue is mainly that I will specify what cells I
want locked and what users are allowed to change, but Excel leaves
some extra cells unlocked for no reason that I can discern. What am I
doing wrong?

The specifics:
- I tell Excel that I want only the following cells unlocked for
editing: D13:G19, I13:J19, D27:G33, I27:J33, F52
- Excel does what I tell it to do but also leaves the following cells
unlocked: B22:K22, B37:K37

Is there any possible reason for this odd behaviour?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

By default all cells are locked.

Perhaps those rogue cells were unlocked previously and remain so.

Maybe start over?

CTRL + a to select all cells.

FormatCellsProtectionLockedOK

Now select the cells you want unlocked and see what occurs when you protect the
sheet.

'Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP