Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Date format problem

Hi all,

The dates in my column are preceded by and apostrophe. Anyone knows a quick
way to get rid of the apostrophe. I have about 3000 rows on the spreadsheet.

This is how the date appear

€˜ 04/05/2007

To get rid of it I back space or delete the apostrophe.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If they're all in that format, and you want to turn then into numbers,
rather than text with a space at the beginning, then use =--RIGHT(A12,10) If
you merely want to remove the apostrophe and leave a text string starting
with a space, then you could use =RIGHT(A12,11)
--
David Biddulph

"Natalie" wrote in message
Hi all,

The dates in my column are preceded by and apostrophe. Anyone knows a
quick
way to get rid of the apostrophe. I have about 3000 rows on the
spreadsheet.

This is how the date appear

' 04/05/2007

To get rid of it I back space or delete the apostrophe.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Try selecting your data then click Data/Text To Columns

Step 1: Select Delimited
Step 2: Uncheck any delimiters that are selected
Step 3: Under Data Format, select Data and MDY

Test it on a sample of your data to see if it works first. After the data
is changed to numeric you can reformat to your desired date format using
Cells/Format.

"Natalie" wrote:

Hi all,

The dates in my column are preceded by and apostrophe. Anyone knows a quick
way to get rid of the apostrophe. I have about 3000 rows on the spreadsheet.

This is how the date appear

€˜ 04/05/2007

To get rid of it I back space or delete the apostrophe.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

select the column
<data<text to column
<delimited<next<next
<date then either MDY or DMY depending on whether the date is to month day
or day month
<finish

"Natalie" wrote:

Hi all,

The dates in my column are preceded by and apostrophe. Anyone knows a quick
way to get rid of the apostrophe. I have about 3000 rows on the spreadsheet.

This is how the date appear

€˜ 04/05/2007

To get rid of it I back space or delete the apostrophe.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Another option is to use
Edit/Replace
Search for €˜ and leave the replace box empty.
This will remove the €˜
--
HTH

NilsIvar