Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Choosing last set of data in column

How do I choose the last five sets of data in a column. I want to make a
chart that continually updates as I add in data but only with the last five
sets of data. Is this possible with "offset" and how would I do this?

Erik
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Assuming source data (ie numbers) are running in A1 down (data is assumed
continuous with no blank cells)

Select a 5 cell column range, say select B1:B5,
then place in the formula bar:
=OFFSET(INDIRECT("A"&COUNT(A:A)+1),,,-5)
Array-enter the formula by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
(instead of just pressing ENTER)

B1:B5 will return the last 5 cells in col A.
Plot the graph using B1:B5 as source.
--
Max
Singapore
"Erik" wrote:
How do I choose the last five sets of data in a column. I want to make a
chart that continually updates as I add in data but only with the last five
sets of data. Is this possible with "offset" and how would I do this?

Erik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming data is columns A & B:

Create named range e.g MyData

Refers to:

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A)-5,0,5,2)

Use Mydata as your source

"Erik" wrote:
How do I choose the last five sets of data in a column. I want to make a
chart that continually updates as I add in data but only with the last five
sets of data. Is this possible with "offset" and how would I do this?

Erik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Consider putting your most recent data at the top of the column (pushing
older data down) instead of the bottom.

That way you will always know where the last five sets are.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200727

"Erik" wrote:

How do I choose the last five sets of data in a column. I want to make a
chart that continually updates as I add in data but only with the last five
sets of data. Is this possible with "offset" and how would I do this?

Erik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, that worked for that problem but I have another issue. I also want to
choose the last five columns to graph. I have data, 30 cells worth, that I
want to graph in columns but I only want the last five of them also. For
instance, I have graphed data right now in columns K through O with 30 cells
of data in each column. If I put data in column 'P' is there a way to drop
off column K and add column 'P' automatically?

"Erik" wrote:
How do I choose the last five sets of data in a column. I want to make a
chart that continually updates as I add in data but only with the last five
sets of data. Is this possible with "offset" and how would I do this?

Erik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It WON'T work if there are blank cells in the row we are counting ..

.... so if cannot use the "column count" approach,

..... how can we determine that your last column was (say) column O?

"Erik" wrote:
How do I choose the last five sets of data in a column. I want to make a
chart that continually updates as I add in data but only with the last five
sets of data. Is this possible with "offset" and how would I do this?

Erik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I can put zeros in these columns if necessary, but it still won't work. How
can I chart the last five columns in my worksheet? I have data in colums D
through P but I only want to chart columns L, M, N, O, P. And then when I
put data into Q, I only want to chart columns M, N, O, P, Q. Is this
possible. I can't get your other formaula to work at all. I define the name
with the Insert, Name, Define function and then try to use this name as the
data source but it won't work.

"Erik" wrote:
How do I choose the last five sets of data in a column. I want to make a
chart that continually updates as I add in data but only with the last five
sets of data. Is this possible with "offset" and how would I do this?

Erik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With "headings" in A1 to P1 and D1 to P30 this works for me:

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$D:$D)-5,COUNTA(Sheet1!1:1)-5,5,5)

If data in row 1 starts in column D, try:

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,COUNTA(Sheet1!$D:$D)-5,COUNTA(Sheet1!$1:$1)-2,5,5)