Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gav Gav is offline

Default give text a dollar numeric value

How do I give text codes eg. "LC" or "MC" a numeric or dollars value? I want
the numeric value to be hidden so I am able to insert text codes into cells
then sum a total at the end of a column and/or the bottom of a row that
displays a numeric total. I will have not more than ten text codes for each
column.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gav Gav is offline

"Gav" wrote in message
How do I give text codes eg. "LC" or "MC" a numeric or dollars value? I
want
the numeric value to be hidden so I am able to insert text codes into
cells
then sum a total at the end of a column and/or the bottom of a row that
displays a numeric total. I will have not more than ten text codes for
each
column.

This almost did what I wanted. I,ll try to be more specific.Column A will be for a particular service say mow lawn. The codes for column may be S for small lawn, M for medium and L for large. Column B will be the same except for a different service but the same principle with the codes, although different codes. At the bottom of A eg. A50 I want to sum the codes numeric values eg. A=5, B=10 etc, two A's and four B's would =50.

Then across each row (a row for each client) Sum the codes as per the column
set up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gav Gav is offline

"Gav" wrote in message
How do I give text codes eg. "LC" or "MC" a numeric or dollars value? I
want
the numeric value to be hidden so I am able to insert text codes into
cells
then sum a total at the end of a column and/or the bottom of a row that
displays a numeric total. I will have not more than ten text codes for
each
column.

This did not seem to work at all any other suggestions/