-   -   give text a dollar numeric value (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/145072-give-text-dollar-numeric-value.html)

Gav

give text a dollar numeric value

How do I give text codes eg. "LC" or "MC" a numeric or dollars value? I want
the numeric value to be hidden so I am able to insert text codes into cells
then sum a total at the end of a column and/or the bottom of a row that
displays a numeric total. I will have not more than ten text codes for each
column.

Bob Phillips

give text a dollar numeric value

=SUM(INDEX(N1:N10,IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(C1:C2,M1:M10,0 )),MATCH(C1:C2,M1:M10,0))))

--
HTH

Bob

"Gav" wrote in message
How do I give text codes eg. "LC" or "MC" a numeric or dollars value? I
want
the numeric value to be hidden so I am able to insert text codes into
cells
then sum a total at the end of a column and/or the bottom of a row that
displays a numeric total. I will have not more than ten text codes for
each
column.

Bob Phillips

give text a dollar numeric value

This assumed that the codes and values are in M1:N10, and C1:C2 are the
coded values to sum.

--
HTH

Bob

"Gav" wrote in message
How do I give text codes eg. "LC" or "MC" a numeric or dollars value? I
want
the numeric value to be hidden so I am able to insert text codes into
cells
then sum a total at the end of a column and/or the bottom of a row that
displays a numeric total. I will have not more than ten text codes for
each
column.

David Biddulph[_2_]

give text a dollar numeric value

Insert/ Name/ Define/ put in your name/ refers to/ put in your number.
--
David Biddulph

"Gav" wrote in message
How do I give text codes eg. "LC" or "MC" a numeric or dollars value? I
want
the numeric value to be hidden so I am able to insert text codes into
cells
then sum a total at the end of a column and/or the bottom of a row that
displays a numeric total. I will have not more than ten text codes for
each
column.

This almost did what I wanted. I,ll try to be more specific.Column A will be for a particular service say mow lawn. The codes for column may be S for small lawn, M for medium and L for large. Column B will be the same except for a different service but the same principle with the codes, although different codes. At the bottom of A eg. A50 I want to sum the codes numeric values eg. A=5, B=10 etc, two A's and four B's would =50.

Then across each row (a row for each client) Sum the codes as per the column
set up.

Gav

"Gav" wrote in message
How do I give text codes eg. "LC" or "MC" a numeric or dollars value? I
want
the numeric value to be hidden so I am able to insert text codes into
cells
then sum a total at the end of a column and/or the bottom of a row that
displays a numeric total. I will have not more than ten text codes for
each
column.

This did not seem to work at all any other suggestions/

Bob Phillips

give text a dollar numeric value

Can you layout an example, I don't understand?

--
HTH

Bob

"Gav" wrote in message

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

This assumed that the codes and values are in M1:N10, and C1:C2 are the
coded values to sum.

--
HTH

Bob