Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how to sort column with cell pairs

hi
i need to sort a column with cell pairs, i.e. there is always a top cell
(name) and a bottom cell (data) which need to stay together. the sorting
should only consider the top cell.

A1: name1
A2: dataxdataxdatax
A3: name2
A4: dataydataydatay

any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

use a helper column (B?)
ib B1 enter = A1
in b2 enter =A1 & "-1"
copy down as far as you want
select both columns and sort by column B

"muggeschiss" wrote:

hi
i need to sort a column with cell pairs, i.e. there is always a top cell
(name) and a bottom cell (data) which need to stay together. the sorting
should only consider the top cell.

A1: name1
A2: dataxdataxdatax
A3: name2
A4: dataydataydatay

any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On May 31, 2:49 pm, muggeschiss
wrote:
hi
i need to sort a column with cell pairs, i.e. there is always a top cell
(name) and a bottom cell (data) which need to stay together. the sorting
should only consider the top cell.

A1: name1
A2: dataxdataxdatax
A3: name2
A4: dataydataydatay

any suggestions?

In B1:
=A1
In B2:
=IF(MOD(ROW()-ROW($A$1)+1,2)=1,A2,A1)

Select both rows and sort by B:B

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

thank you very much, bj and vezerid! first suggestion works fine. i am trying
to understand vezerid's suggestion but do not know which argument to put in
the first ROW function.

"vezerid" wrote:
In B1:
=A1
In B2:
=IF(MOD(ROW()-ROW($A$1)+1,2)=1,A2,A1)

Select both rows and sort by B:B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

sorry, vezerid's suggestion works too, of course. just had some problems with
"," and ";" due to my non-us country settings.
thanks!

"vezerid" wrote:

In B1:
=A1
In B2:
=IF(MOD(ROW()-ROW($A$1)+1,2)=1,A2,A1)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"vezerid" wrote:
In B1:
=A1
In B2:
=IF(MOD(ROW()-ROW($A$1)+1,2)=1,A2,A1)

Select both rows and sort by B:B

Bj's solution will work. If you want to try my solution change $A$1
with the cell from which your data starts. Adjust the other two
references accordingly (e.g. if you start with A13 then- $A$13, A14,
A13). It has this construct to ensure that it will assign odd-even
rows correctly to the name or data.

HTH
Kostis