Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Date question

I have in column A numbers 1-12 all representing the months in a year.
When i put in this formula =month(B1)
i get the numbers of the months... Is there a formula that gives me only the
NAME of the month, NOT the number.

A1 equals "2" how can this number be changed to say "feb" instead of 2?
B1 2-04-07

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The solution Mike H gave you will convert the date to text. If you want to
keep the date format then you have to use custom formating. go to format
menu - cells - custom. enter in top box mmm-dd-yy. The three mmm will
display FEB, two mm will display the number 02.

"Jman" wrote:

I have in column A numbers 1-12 all representing the months in a year.
When i put in this formula =month(B1)
i get the numbers of the months... Is there a formula that gives me only the
NAME of the month, NOT the number.

A1 equals "2" how can this number be changed to say "feb" instead of 2?
B1 2-04-07

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On May 31, 1:45 pm, Jman wrote:
I have in column A numbers 1-12 all representing the months in a year.
When i put in this formula =month(B1)
i get the numbers of the months... Is there a formula that gives me only the
NAME of the month, NOT the number.

A1 equals "2" how can this number be changed to say "feb" instead of 2?
B1 2-04-07

=TEXT(DATE(1900,A1,1),"Mmm")

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=B1 and format as mmm
or
=TEXT(B1,"mmm")
--
David Biddulph

"Jman" wrote in message
I have in column A numbers 1-12 all representing the months in a year.
When i put in this formula =month(B1)
i get the numbers of the months... Is there a formula that gives me only
the
NAME of the month, NOT the number.

A1 equals "2" how can this number be changed to say "feb" instead of 2?
B1 2-04-07

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have in column A numbers 1-12 all representing the months in a year.
When i put in this formula =month(B1)
i get the numbers of the months... Is there a formula that gives me only
the
NAME of the month, NOT the number.

A1 equals "2" how can this number be changed to say "feb" instead of 2?
B1 2-04-07

Just to add to everyone else's response...

While you only asked about abbreviated month names, which is what everyone
responded to by suggesting using "mmm" (3 m's) in either the TEXT formula
function or the Custom formatting of your column, I just wanted to note that
using "mmmm" (4 m's) will spell out the complete month's name.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This formula is what i was looking for.. Sorry for not posting the question
correctly.. I need to stop posting at 3am and do what most people then,
sleep.
Once again i am not suprised how you guys figured out what i was trying to
say in my own little world.. you guys are genius.
Thanks again..

"vezerid" wrote:

On May 31, 1:45 pm, Jman wrote:
I have in column A numbers 1-12 all representing the months in a year.
When i put in this formula =month(B1)
i get the numbers of the months... Is there a formula that gives me only the
NAME of the month, NOT the number.

A1 equals "2" how can this number be changed to say "feb" instead of 2?
B1 2-04-07

=TEXT(DATE(1900,A1,1),"Mmm")

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"vezerid" wrote:
On May 31, 1:45 pm, Jman wrote:
I have in column A numbers 1-12 all representing the months in a year.
When i put in this formula =month(B1)
i get the numbers of the months... Is there a formula that gives me only the
NAME of the month, NOT the number.

A1 equals "2" how can this number be changed to say "feb" instead of 2?
B1 2-04-07

=TEXT(DATE(1900,A1,1),"Mmm")

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Glad it worked. As to the background behind figuring out your
intentions, thank my students who always find it hard to comprehend
what MONTH(MONTH(x)) returns.<grin

Kostis