Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Setting up a database in excel

Hi all,
I'm looking to create a database in excel to record Utilities usages
e.g.
Water
Electricity
Oil
Gas etc....

How can I do this to make it easy for people to input the data? (at
the min
we have many files with no organisation)

E.g. In sheet 1, can there be a row of buttons such as Water, Oil
etc.. when
one is clicked it'll go to a page where the data can be inserted -
Like a
small field.

When this data is inputed it'll also go into a table (e.g. in a sheet
called
"Water Data").

With this system.. it'll make it easy for anyone to log this data.

Does anyone know of any examples/templates i can use?

Many thanks for any help :-)

Shay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Shay

Without wishing to change your plan, this has all the makings of being an
issue waiting for a problem further down the track. Data, Multiple Users,
Buttons, Forms are all best done in a database and maybe analysed in Excel
as the data is entered

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Shay" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Shay" wrote in message

[...]

Hi there...
Thanks for your input. I agree with you. This would be best suited to
Access. But... we don't have it.. and its damn expensive lol.

At the min we input the data into different files in different
locations etc. Then when creating reports it can be a nightmare.
I thought... one place (workbook) with different tabs showing
different data. I was hoping to make it a user friendly as possible as
some of those inputting wouldn't be very knowledgeable in excel.

Thanks loads,
Shay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nick is absolutely correct - don't do this in Excel. Microsoft has templates
for Access databases (and a database is where you want to create this).

You might be able to easily modify this to suit your needs

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT101428511033

"Shay" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 29 May 2007 22:21:58 +0100, "MH" wrote:

You really need to spend some cash and get Access.

Reporting functionality is built-in, so is support for forms.

MH

Doesn't an Access database allow non-access owners to "access" it, as in
a runtime engine?

If that is the case, then they would most benefit from buying the
Office Pro suite, as you get the most bang for the buck, and if you DL
the trial version, you can sneak by on cost with the upgrade, IIRC.

It truly is a remarkable suite. After years of using Office products
at work, this is the first one I actually sprang for at home, and I can
Thank MS for the Vista trial, as well as the Office trial for that sale.

I bought both Vista Ultimate, and Office Pro, and feel that they will
last me for years, because as little as I use them all (except for the OS
of course), I should not need to further keep up with the Joneses for a
long time to come. It is an astounding package though.

I am truly impressed by it, and have yet to use PowerPoint or
Publisher.

I should write a "MicroSoft isn't as bad as everyone says it is" book,
because they have really brought together some great works this time.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Shay wrote:

"Shay" wrote in message

[...]

Give OpenOffice.org a try. It has a spreadsheet module, and a database
module, and its free!

I haven't tried to set up a database in "Base" yet, but then again,
haven't had a need. Try it, and tell us how it works.

Beege

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think you are refering to the developer edition which is a bit more
expensive.

MH

"JackShephard" wrote in
message ...