Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Display Elapsed Time

I'm trying to display elapsed time separately so that I can see hours in one
cell and minutes in another cell. I've been using the following to display
hours: =TEXT(MOD(C5-C4,1),"hh"), but when I use the same function and change
the "hh" to "mm", I can't get it to display the minutes correctly. I'm
assuming that it's because of the 2nd argument of the MOD function, it always
displays 01 whatever I type in. Would someone please tell this simple
individual what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nigel,

The problem is that the "mm" text format identifier is used to indicate both
months and minutes. It will format for months unless it follows an "hh"
formatting string. Therefore, the result of your formula is the number of
months, not minutes. Instead, use a formula like the following and format
for General or Number, not date or time.

=(B1-A1)*24*60

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson