Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do I create a template that gives each record a unique number?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Siniss,

I'm sure there are over 100 perfectly valid answers to your question.
If you care to explain your problem in detail I am positive that someone
will be able to narrow it down to the one you are looking for.

Regards
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do I create a template that gives each record a unique num

siniss,
Sounds like you just want a list of sequential numbers for your records. a
template i don't think will do this.
Add a column at A1. in A1(A2 if you have column headers) enter a 1 or start
number. then in the cell below put this =A1+1. copy down for all your records.
another way....
Add a column at A1. enter A1 = 1, A2 = 2, A3 = 3. High light the column to
the end of your records. on the tool bar EditfillseriescolumnLinearstep=
1ok
both ways can be extended as you add records.

Regards
FSt1

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Siniss,

I'm sure there are over 100 perfectly valid answers to your question.
If you care to explain your problem in detail I am positive that someone
will be able to narrow it down to the one you are looking for.

Regards
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Reading between the lines, you want a template which when used will create a
unique reference for the resulting worksheet?

You could use a macro to run when the new file is created which concatenates
some data such as Author's initials and the time of creation in milliseconds
and turns it all into a serial nunber.

I've used a similar technique to tag different sheets of a workbook with a
non-obvious (but not crytpographically hard) numeric serial number to ensure
that the printed pages could be cross-referenced (this was to avoid someone
printing a cover sheet with a lower value for purchasing signoff than the
attached breakdown pages).

I used last print time / date rather than creation, plus some other bits
which I forget but basically to avoid the tiny possibility of two people
printing at the same moment and getting the same number.

It depends if you just want something which is pseudo-random to prevent
people making up their own, something sequential, something meaningful or
what. You might want to post more info if you want better answers...

--
Adam Vero
MCP, MOS Master, MLSS, CWNA

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Siniss,

I'm sure there are over 100 perfectly valid answers to your question.
If you care to explain your problem in detail I am positive that someone
will be able to narrow it down to the one you are looking for.

Regards
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Let me try to explain my problem. I have created a template to record
enquiries for my business - every time a new enquiry is generated I want
someone to fill out a form to record the enquiry, which they will then print
out to pass to the relevent person.

I want each enquiry to have its own unique number.

I hope that this explains the problem.

Siniss