Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Raj Raj is offline

Default SOS

, spread acrossHi Folks,

Am new to this forum. I have a problem with comparing b/w 5 sets of cells
on two different worksheets and pulling in the sume. For e.g., any line item
in this cost report has a unique 10 character ID (2 characters each spread
across 5 cells). This is the Cost account for a particular line item. I
have about 200 line items in this cost report. Now this sheet needs to be
linked to another worksheet (Change order log) to bring in total change
orders against one particular line item.

So the task at hand for me is to compare b/w 5 cells in one sheet to the
corresponding 5 cells in another sheet, and return the sum of all the rows
where the 5 cells match exactly. Hope some of the experts here can drop a
line. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Raj.

P.S. Please see the typical columns to compare.

WBS Code

01 03 01 01 00
01 03 01 02 00
01 03 01 03 00
01 03 01 04 00
01 03 01 05 00
01 03 01 06 00
01 03 01 07 00
01 03 01 08 00

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Assuming the codes are on Sheet1 in A1:E10, the amounts you want to sum are
on Sheet1 F1:F10 and the codes you are looking for are on Sheet2 A1:E1, try
entering this in Sheet2 F1:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:A10&Sheet1!B1:B10&Sheet1!C1:C10&Sheet1! D1:D10&Sheet1!E1:E10=A1&B1&C1&D1&E1),Sheet1!F1:F10 )

Change ranges and sheet names as needed, but unless you have XL2007, you
cannot use entire columns (ie A:A or A1:A65536).

"Raj" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Or maybe

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:E10=A4:E4)*(Sheet1!F1:F10))/5
or
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A1:E10=TEXT(A4:E4,"00"))*(Sheet1!F1:F10))/5

depending on how your number codes are formatted (numeric or text). I
assumed the codes on your source sheet are text format.

"Raj" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Raj Raj is offline

Hi JMB,

Thank you for your prompt response. I did try out that. I didn't explain
correctly - apologies mate.

The 5 sets of codes of a line item in Sheet 1 need to be compared from many
rows in Sheet 2, and sum up all the rows in sheet 2 where ALL 5 cells in
sheet 1 exactly match! I really got myself into a pickle here mate. Any
help is greatly appreciated.
Please see Both the tables:
SHEET 1

WBS Code - Cost Report
01 03 01 01 00 00
01 03 01 02 00 00
01 03 01 03 00 00
01 03 01 04 00 00
01 03 01 05 00 00
01 03 01 06 00 00
01 03 01 07 00 00
01 03 01 08 00 00

SHEET 2
WBS Code - Change Order Log
01 03 07 04 00 11
01 03 07 04 00 10
01 03 07 04 00 09
01 03 07 04 00 06
01 03 07 04 00 12
01 03 07 04 30 00
01 01 02 03 00 00
01 03 01 07 00 00
01 03 01 08 00 00

As you see, one row from 1 row of Sheet 1 need to be compared against many
in Sheet 2, and sum up all the $ amount from Sheet 2 (L19:L65), and return
the sum to each of the line item in sheet 1 where all 6 cells match.

Thanks again mate.

Cheers,

Raj

"Raj" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With this set up...

On a sheet named CostSheet, this configuration in A1:F4

Ent Div Dept Bin Item Total
aa aa aa aa aa (blank)
bb cc dd ee ff (blank)
cc dd ee ff gg (blank)

And, on a sheet named ChangeSheet, this configuration in A1:F5

Ent Div Dept Bin Item Amount
aa aa aa aa aa 10
bb cc dd ee ff 100
cc dd ee ff gg 1000
aa aa aa aa aa 10

Try this
On the ChangeSheet create a helper column
G1: REF
G2: =A2&B2&C2&D2&E2
Copy that formula down as far as you need.
(The formula concatenates the account codes)
(In my example, G2 returns "aaabaaabaa")

Now...on the CostSheet

F2:
=SUMIF(ChangeSheet!$G$1:$G$20,CostSheet!A2&CostShe et!B2&CostSheet!C2&CostSheet!D2&CostSheet!E2,Chang eSheet!$F$1:$F$20)
Copy that formula down as far as you need

In my example, F2 returns 20, because 2 rows contain the aaabaaabaa
account codes, at $10 each.

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Raj" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

One thing you may want to check is are the codes on Sheet1 and Sheet2 numeric
or text??? Use the Isnumber and/or Istext functions to find out if you are
not sure. I am assuming the codes are text, but they could be numbers that
are formatted to show the leading 0.

Assuming that the codes on the change order log and the codes on Sheet1
(cost report) are the same format (either text or numeric, but not mixed) and
the data on Sheet2 (change order log) is in G19:L65, the codes you are
looking for are in A1:E1, this worked on my machine:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet2!G19:G65=A1),--(Sheet2!H19:H65=B1),--(Sheet2!I19:I65=C1),--(Sheet2!J19:J65=D1),--(Sheet2!K19:K65=E1),Sheet2!L19:L65)

Another (somewhat shorter) suggestion that also seemed to work:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT((--(Sheet2!G19:K65=A1:E1)),{1;1;1;1;1})=5),Sheet2!L19 :L65)

"Raj" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Raj Raj is offline

Hi Ron,

You saved my life mate. I had this due tomorrow, and I was about to ask for
an extension. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Raj

"Raj" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm so glad i could help....and thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP