Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Removing spaces at the end of numbers

I downloaded some online financial data to excel. One sheet is out of whack.
All numbers are registering as text (I used istext to check) and there are
two spaces at the end of each number (i.e. 477.5 )-notice 2 spaces before
the end parentheses. This keeps me from doing any formulas or calculations
with these cells (about 11 columns with 245 rows - thats why I don't want to
retype the data). How do I remove the two spaces? Is there a macro? Excel
function? I tried =LEFT(C14,FIND(" ",C14,1)), hoping to take the leftmost
values before the space, but no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"Chris T." <Chris wrote in message
I downloaded some online financial data to excel. One sheet is out of
whack.
All numbers are registering as text (I used istext to check) and there are
two spaces at the end of each number (i.e. 477.5 )-notice 2 spaces before
the end parentheses. This keeps me from doing any formulas or calculations
with these cells (about 11 columns with 245 rows - thats why I don't want
retype the data). How do I remove the two spaces? Is there a macro? Excel
function? I tried =LEFT(C14,FIND(" ",C14,1)), hoping to take the leftmost
values before the space, but no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could also try Data Text to Columns

On 4 May, 06:08, "Peo Sjoblom"
wrote:

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutionswww.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"Chris T." <Chris wrote in ...

I downloaded some online financial data to excel. One sheet is out of
whack.
All numbers are registering as text (I used istext to check) and there are
two spaces at the end of each number (i.e. 477.5 )-notice 2 spaces before
the end parentheses. This keeps me from doing any formulas or calculations
with these cells (about 11 columns with 245 rows - thats why I don't want
retype the data). How do I remove the two spaces? Is there a macro? Excel
function? I tried =LEFT(C14,FIND(" ",C14,1)), hoping to take the leftmost
values before the space, but no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you very much for the direction. The TrimAll macro was perfect. Thanks
also to all the others that responded - I didn't get around to trying your
options, but they probably are just as applicable.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"Chris T." <Chris wrote in message
I downloaded some online financial data to excel. One sheet is out of
whack.
All numbers are registering as text (I used istext to check) and there are
two spaces at the end of each number (i.e. 477.5 )-notice 2 spaces before
the end parentheses. This keeps me from doing any formulas or calculations
with these cells (about 11 columns with 245 rows - thats why I don't want
retype the data). How do I remove the two spaces? Is there a macro? Excel
function? I tried =LEFT(C14,FIND(" ",C14,1)), hoping to take the leftmost
values before the space, but no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes but it won't work if it is a trailing html character
which happens quite often with downloads

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com