Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do I combine multiple IF statements to come up with 1 value?

I am trying to create an automated commission calculation sheet for my sales
team, however I can't find how to create the formula.

What I'd like to achieve is the following:

revenue:
0 - 10 == no commission
10.1 - 20 == 2.5% commission of the amount over and above 10
20.1 - 30 == 5% commission of the amount over and above 20
etc.

The formula I created now double counts the amount of revenue and that is
not the intention.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Set up a table

treshold marginal rate differential rate
10000 0.025 0.025
20000 0.05 0.025
30000 0.075 0.025
40000 0.1 0.025
50000 0.125 0.025

use the formula
=SUMPRODUCT(--(D5$A$4:$A$8), (D5-$A$4:$A$8), $C$4:$C$8)
where D5 holds the amount sold
A4 to A8 is the tresholds
C4 to C8 are the incremental %'ges

you can change the borders and or the rates in the table without having to
change formula's

for a detailed explanation go to
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html

--
Greetings from New Zealand

"Johanna" wrote in message
I am trying to create an automated commission calculation sheet for my
sales
team, however I can't find how to create the formula.

What I'd like to achieve is the following:

revenue:
0 - 10 == no commission
10.1 - 20 == 2.5% commission of the amount over and above 10
20.1 - 30 == 5% commission of the amount over and above 20
etc.

The formula I created now double counts the amount of revenue and that is
not the intention.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming the amount to calculate commission on is in A1:
=IF(A120,0.05 * (A1-20),IF(A110,0.025*(A1-10),0))

You don't say what to do for over 30? I presume anything above 20 is
calculated at the 5% of amout over 20.

I guess the thing to notice is that the tests should run to test the largest
value first, then work down to a no-commission value. The first true
condition will be the one that the result is based on.

"Johanna" wrote:

I am trying to create an automated commission calculation sheet for my sales
team, however I can't find how to create the formula.

What I'd like to achieve is the following:

revenue:
0 - 10 == no commission
10.1 - 20 == 2.5% commission of the amount over and above 10
20.1 - 30 == 5% commission of the amount over and above 20
etc.

The formula I created now double counts the amount of revenue and that is
not the intention.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do I combine multiple IF statements to come up with 1 valu

Just a word of warning on the table approach it will recalc all the
historical data linked to it if you change the table it may be better to use
a macro that pastes the value in there.

Give me your thaughts.
--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, Bangkok, Thailand

"Johanna" wrote in message
I am trying to create an automated commission calculation sheet for my
sales
team, however I can't find how to create the formula.

What I'd like to achieve is the following:

revenue:
0 - 10 == no commission
10.1 - 20 == 2.5% commission of the amount over and above 10
20.1 - 30 == 5% commission of the amount over and above 20
etc.

The formula I created now double counts the amount of revenue and that is
not the intention.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

0 - 10 == no commission
10.1 - 20 == 2.5% commission of the amount over and above 10
20.1 - 30 == 5% commission of the amount over and above 20

Hi. Another way...
=MAX(0,(A1-10)/40,(A1-15)/20)

--
HTH :)