Old April 10th 07, 06:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using the LEFT formula for multiple cells

I'm going nuts trying to figure out if I have mulitple cells, and I want to
take the first character of each text string in each cell into one cell what
do I use with the LEFT formula?

Example.

A1 = Hi
B1 = Ouch
C1 = What

D=HOW or =LEFT(A1,1),(B1,1),(C1,1)

Nothing I'm trying is working

Your help is appreciated!

Old April 10th 07, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Emily G,

You are going to need a separate LEFT function for each cell you are trying
to grab the 1st character from, and then you are going to need to
concatenate them together.

Try this formula in cell D1:

=LEFT(A1,1) & LEFT(B1,1) & LEFT(C1,1)

The ampersand charater is a shortcut for concatenation. There is a
CONCATENATE function as well. Check out the help files for it if you want
to learn more.

Hope this helps,

Conan Kelly

Old April 11th 07, 01:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Emily

LEFT(A1)&LEFT(B1)&LEFT(C1)

Without specifying the number of characters, the default is 1

--
Regards

Roger Govier