Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Conan Kelly Conan Kelly is offline

Default Using the LEFT formula for multiple cells

Emily G,

You are going to need a separate LEFT function for each cell you are trying
to grab the 1st character from, and then you are going to need to
concatenate them together.

Try this formula in cell D1:

=LEFT(A1,1) & LEFT(B1,1) & LEFT(C1,1)

The ampersand charater is a shortcut for concatenation. There is a
CONCATENATE function as well. Check out the help files for it if you want
to learn more.

Hope this helps,

Conan Kelly

"Emily G" <Emily wrote in message
I'm going nuts trying to figure out if I have mulitple cells, and I want
take the first character of each text string in each cell into one cell
what
do I use with the LEFT formula?

Example.

A1 = Hi