Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Link malfunction-shows path instead of cell content

Can anyone offer an explanation for why a link to another workbook might
display the file path, rather than the content of the cell. Withni the same
worksheet and with links to the same other worksheet, some work and some
don't.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Several things to check:

1. make sure the display mode is for results, CNTRL+~ will toggle this
2. make sure the cell with the link was not formatted as text
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200714

"Twishlist" wrote:

Can anyone offer an explanation for why a link to another workbook might
display the file path, rather than the content of the cell. Withni the same
worksheet and with links to the same other worksheet, some work and some
don't.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your response.

1. The cell was formatted as text, but that didn't seem to influence as
other, successful, links were formatted either text or general. In any case,
I amended the range to general but it had no impact.

2. Tried both CTRL + ~, and CTRL + ` (grave accent)(as indicated in Excel
Help-Display or hide formulas). Neither had an impact.

HELP!!

"Twishlist" wrote:

Can anyone offer an explanation for why a link to another workbook might
display the file path, rather than the content of the cell. Withni the same
worksheet and with links to the same other worksheet, some work and some
don't.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This may be too trivial a suggestion, but have you tried copying the format
of a successfully-linking cell (using Format Painter) over to the cell that
isn't working?

That's fixed it for me in the past (assuming we're talking about the same
type of fault).

Best,

Peter

"Twishlist" wrote:

Can anyone offer an explanation for why a link to another workbook might
display the file path, rather than the content of the cell. Withni the same
worksheet and with links to the same other worksheet, some work and some
don't.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What I have since found is that if the worksheet A (from a template) I am
linking to hasn't been saved before I place the link into Worksheet B, then
it returns the file path instead of the cell content. Even after I save
wsheet A, the link in B won't display properly unless I delete it and re do
it to the saved worksheet A.

So now I know..thanks to you both.