Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default very strange linking problem in Excel

Afternoon

Something very odd is happening. I have a file containing population data by
region (columns), split into 4 year age range increments (rows). In another
file I am generating two rows, one for children and another for adults, with
region across the columns as in the main file. The link text therefore reads
something like this: =SUM([2004_LondonBoroughs.xls]Females!$L$64:$L$67)

Once I've done one column, I remove the $ tags and then drag across to
autofill the other columns. The figures, however, across the regions, are the
same as the first column, even though the figures in the London boroughs
sheet are very different. They only update correctly if I click on the cell,
highlight the =SUM([2004_LondonBoroughs.xls]Females!L64:L67 text in the
textbar, then hit return.

I've got a lot to do so I can't do that for every single cell. What the
hell's going on? It was working perfectly yesterday - same files, same
technique.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tools/ Options/ Calculation
Make sure it's set to Automatic.

It picks the setting up from the first workbook you open in a session.
--
David Biddulph