Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Problem with Time Addition

I have times imported into excel from my handheld. The times are put into
the handheld as 13:30 for 1:30PM. After inputing 13:30m 1:30PM automatically
shows up in the appropriate cell. After synchronizing to a spreadsheet on my
desktop I can't subtract one time from another. I get the result #VALUE!. I
have tried changing the formatting of the appropriate cell, butthis does not
help.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hy,
what do you mean with this part:
"After inputing 13:30m 1:30PM "
13:30 is treated as time value, but if you enter 13:30m excel belive you
entered text and formula returns error #VALUE!

sasa

"Steve M" wrote in message
I have times imported into excel from my handheld. The times are put into
the handheld as 13:30 for 1:30PM. After inputing 13:30m 1:30PM
automatically shows up in the appropriate cell. After synchronizing to a
spreadsheet on my desktop I can't subtract one time from another. I get the
result #VALUE!. I have tried changing the formatting of the appropriate
cell, butthis does not help.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The problem must be with the synchronization.

What value shows up in the spreadsheet after the sync? You say you are trying to
subtract one time from another, so give us the formula you are using and the
values in each of the cells.

Fred

"Steve M" wrote in message
I have times imported into excel from my handheld. The times are put into the
handheld as 13:30 for 1:30PM. After inputing 13:30m 1:30PM automatically shows
up in the appropriate cell. After synchronizing to a spreadsheet on my desktop
I can't subtract one time from another. I get the result #VALUE!. I have tried
changing the formatting of the appropriate cell, butthis does not help.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry--in the spreadsheet on the handheld palm device, we enter "13:30" in
order for it to return the value "1:30PM." In others words--this is similar
to inputing the time in military time, except that we have to add the colon.
When we select done, the value automatically changes to 1:30PM on the
handheld device. After synchronized to the destop file, it shows up as

"Steve M" wrote in message
I have times imported into excel from my handheld. The times are put into
the handheld as 13:30 for 1:30PM. After inputing 13:30m 1:30PM
automatically shows up in the appropriate cell. After synchronizing to a
spreadsheet on my desktop I can't subtract one time from another. I get
the result #VALUE!. I have tried changing the formatting of the
appropriate cell, butthis does not help.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The time that shows up in the desktop files would be something like
"1:30PM." Assume the beginning time was "7:20AM," and the ending time was in
cell B11 and the beginning time in cell B9. I would use the formula B11-B9
or SUM(B11-B9).

"Steve M" wrote in message
I have times imported into excel from my handheld. The times are put into
the handheld as 13:30 for 1:30PM. After inputing 13:30m 1:30PM
automatically shows up in the appropriate cell. After synchronizing to a
spreadsheet on my desktop I can't subtract one time from another. I get
the result #VALUE!. I have tried changing the formatting of the
appropriate cell, butthis does not help.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Steve,

Excel's times are 1:30 PM and 7:20 AM Note the space between the time and
the AM/PM

If you can select only your times (so that no cell has AM or PM even if it
is in the middle of a word) then select Edit Replace and enter AM in the
"Find what" box and a space then AM in the "Replace with" box and then
select Replace all.

--
HTH

Sandy