Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Multiple IF Function

I have 10 possible ranges to create a cell value. I cannot use "IF" beyond 7
and I keep seeing suggestions to use "Lookup", but it's not working. I need
some examples if they're out there. Here's what I'm trying to do:

If the cell value in "X" is: <30, then value is 1
30-34 then value is 2
35-39 then value is 3
and so on..........
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Build up a table of your values, like so:

0 1
30 2
35 3
40 4

etc. Suppose these are in cells X1:Y10. Assume further that the cell
with your "X" values in is A1 and that you want to return the
corresponding value to B1 - put this formula in B1:

=VLOOKUP(A1,X$1:Y$10,2)

The formula can be copied down if you have other values in column A.

In the example you gave there is a simple relationship between between
the numbers you have and the numbers you want, so it may be possible
to calculate them without using a table, but this isn't always the
case - particularly if you wanted to return text values,

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 9, 7:23 pm, Roberto wrote:
I have 10 possible ranges to create a cell value. I cannot use "IF" beyond 7
and I keep seeing suggestions to use "Lookup", but it's not working. I need
some examples if they're out there. Here's what I'm trying to do:

If the cell value in "X" is: <30, then value is 1
30-34 then value is 2
35-39 then value is 3
and so on..........

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions