Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Pivot table summary option--display list of values

I am an experienced pivot table user and I don't think that what I
want to accomplish is possible in any version of Excel. But I thought
maybe somebody might know of a work-around or perhaps a Microsoft MVP
might look at this post and consider building this feature into the
next version of Excel.

I know that pivot tables are traditionally used to summarize numerical
data. But what I would like to do is have the summary actually show a
list of the matching values rather than a numerical summary.

In other words, if I have a list like so (where the first row contains
headers):

Color Shape Name
Blue Box Joe
Red Circle Pam
Blue Box Stan

.. . . and I create a pivot table using Color along the top axis and
Shape along the side axis, then the 'summary' at the intersection of
Blue and Box would be 'Joe (hard return) Stan'

I think what would be needed is a new 'Summary' type that would be
something like 'List of Values' and it would accomplish the kind of
functionality discussed above.

How is this useful? Well, let's say a small organization were using
Excel to track its tasks by campaign and by the person the task was
assigned to. Well, the group could track all of that information and
then use a pivot table report with the "List of Values" summary to
easily see a list of tasks neatly displayed by campaign and by who was
doing the task. Add to this a date dimension and a toggle for whether
or not the task is done, and you have a neat little planner built on a
program that almost everyone has.

Any help or feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you.