Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SELECT Query

Hi
I am looking for a way of simulates a Access SELECT query in Excel. I have a
worksheet that contains multiple instances of different peoples names. This
worksheet is generated on a weekly basis and the names change, new ones
added, other not appearing etc. What I am looking for is something along
the lines of

"SELECT DISTINCT name FROM worksheet" and add these name to a seperate work
sheet. I have not got access to MS Access which would have made this easier
to do. I would like to try and do this if possible without the need to use
Excel VBA, but if it is the only way so be it. Any help appreciated.

Thanks TJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi TJ

You can do this via MSQuery (DataImport External DataNew Database
Query and follow the wizard, using the Excel driver). For this to
work easily, the data needs to be in a named range (or to start in row
1 (Headers) with data immediately below (row2 onwards)). You hit
problems if it isn't. The named range must be a static named range
too - it can't be a dynamically defined one (using Offset or Index).

Post back if you get stuck with this.

Best regards

Richard

On 5 Mar, 10:13, "TJ" wrote:
Hi
I am looking for a way of simulates a Access SELECT query in Excel. I have a
worksheet that contains multiple instances of different peoples names. This
worksheet is generated on a weekly basis and the names change, new ones
added, other not appearing etc. What I am looking for is something along
the lines of

"SELECT DISTINCT name FROM worksheet" and add these name to a seperate work
sheet. I have not got access to MS Access which would have made this easier
to do. I would like to try and do this if possible without the need to use
Excel VBA, but if it is the only way so be it. Any help appreciated.

Thanks TJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"TJ" wrote...
I am looking for a way of simulates a Access SELECT query in Excel.

Look for the SQL.REQUEST function or the XLODBC.XLA add-in on
Microsoft's web site.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Harlan -

A few minutes searching on Microsoft's site shows only the add-in for
XL2002. Do you know if that is compatible with 2003? The download page
mentions only XL2002

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

"TJ" wrote...
I am looking for a way of simulates a Access SELECT query in Excel.

Look for the SQL.REQUEST function or the XLODBC.XLA add-in on
Microsoft's web site.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

FYI -

XLODBC.EXE install package checks for XL2002 and terminates if it is not
found.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the column of names, then
Use Data=Filter=Advanced Filter. Select Copy To and select the Uniques
checkbox in the lower left corner. Designate the output location and click
OK.

If you need it on another sheet, start the process with the destination as
the active selection and ignore any messages saying it can't find the data
source.

Tom Ogilvy

"TJ" wrote:

Hi
I am looking for a way of simulates a Access SELECT query in Excel. I have a
worksheet that contains multiple instances of different peoples names. This
worksheet is generated on a weekly basis and the names change, new ones
added, other not appearing etc. What I am looking for is something along
the lines of

"SELECT DISTINCT name FROM worksheet" and add these name to a seperate work
sheet. I have not got access to MS Access which would have made this easier
to do. I would like to try and do this if possible without the need to use
Excel VBA, but if it is the only way so be it. Any help appreciated.

Thanks TJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Duke Carey wrote...
XLODBC.EXE install package checks for XL2002 and terminates if it is
not found.

They're still available for download, per

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288118/en-us

so it seems Microsoft has nothing against Excel 2003 users using it.
As for XLODBC.EXE, it can be opened with most archivers (opens fine
with 7zip), and one only needs to extract XLODBC.XLA and XLODBC32.DLL
to any drive/directory one wants, then in Excel run Tools Add-
ins..., click on the Browse button, locate and select XLODBC.XLA. As
long as the .XLA and .DLL files are in the same place, this add-in
works under Excel 2003.