Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If A1 is zero, A2 is blank

I am trying to make an adjacent cell blank if the related cell is zero. I
have tried conditional formatting and IF formatting, but I still can't get it
to work. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KL KL is offline

- if blank means EMPTY then it can't be achieved by formulas as it literally means EMPTY - no constants, no formulas (you'll need
macros for that)
- if blank means STRING OF ZERO LENGTH ("") then you can try the following formula in [A2]: =IF(A1=0,"",MyAlternative)
the string of 0 length looks like blank, but technically is not blank and behaves differently in most situations (not in all
though).

--
KL
[MVP - Microsoft Excel]

"woitena1" wrote in message ...
I am trying to make an adjacent cell blank if the related cell is zero. I
have tried conditional formatting and IF formatting, but I still can't get it
to work. Can someone tell me how to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

KL wrote:
- if blank means EMPTY then it can't be achieved by formulas as it
literally means EMPTY - no constants, no formulas (you'll need macros
for that)
- if blank means STRING OF ZERO LENGTH ("") then you can try the
following formula in [A2]: =IF(A1=0,"",MyAlternative)
the string of 0 length looks like blank, but technically is not blank
and behaves differently in most situations (not in all though).

Even a vacuum takes up space, no?

Beege
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A similar problem was posted at ...excel.misc
on Mar 1, "How to find...."
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2uj8pk