Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can I use "list" function within "IF" function

I have a drop down in column A and would like to display a particular list in
column B based on the selection in Column A.
Eg.
In column "A" I have a drop down list with these options: Acura, BMW, Audi
.... etc.
In column "B" I would like to display a dropdown list of: TL, TSX, RX if
column A has Acura, a dropdown list of: A4, A6, A8 if Audi is selectedis
column A, a dropdown list of: 3 series, 5 series, 7 series if BMW is selected
in column A.

Please let me know if this possible?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have you tried a lookup table?

If you put your data in columns then hide them ie,

column d row 1 - row 4 you have

Acura
TL
TSX
RX

column e row 1 - row 4 you have

Audi
A4
A6
A8

column f row 1 - row 4 you have

BMW
3 Series
5 Series
7 Series

If you wish to lookup up whats is say A2 , in cell c2 place the following,

=HLOOKUP($A$2,$D$1:$F$4,2)

cell c3

=HLOOKUP($A$2,$D$1:$F$4,3)

cell c4

=HLOOKUP($A$2,$D$1:$F$4,4)

You can then hide columns c,d,e and f

If column B place you drop down list looking at data in column C.

This allows you to easier update car data lists and to add more models etc.

Hope this is what you was after.

--
This post was created using recycled electrons!