Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need to find the higest alpahbetic name in a list of names

Hi there,

I have a list of names like Andrew, Zachary, Jeff etc and I need to find out
which one is the highest alphabetically. The max function doesn't seem to
work.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Carlo
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

there are several methods, depending on what you want to do with the data.
a simple way is top use <data<filter<Autofilter and just select the
highest name

"Carlo" wrote:

Hi there,

I have a list of names like Andrew, Zachary, Jeff etc and I need to find out
which one is the highest alphabetically. The max function doesn't seem to
work.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Carlo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

With
A1:A5 containing this list
Fred
Ben
Karla
Zack
David

This formula returns the "Minimum" name, alphabetically
B1: =INDEX(A1:A5,MATCH(0,INDEX(COUNTIF(A1:A5,"<"&A1:A5 ),0),0))
In the above example: Ben

This formula returns the "Maximum" name, alphabetically
C1:
=INDEX(A1:A5,MATCH(MAX(INDEX(COUNTIF(A1:A5,"<"&A1: A5),0)),INDEX(COUNTIF(A1:A5,"<"&A1:A5),0),0))
In the above example: Zack

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Carlo" wrote:

Hi there,

I have a list of names like Andrew, Zachary, Jeff etc and I need to find out
which one is the highest alphabetically. The max function doesn't seem to
work.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Carlo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There's an issue with that formula.
It only uses the ASCII code for the first character in the cell.

That would be a problem in this list
Fred
Ben
Karla
Zack
Zane

The formula would return "Zack" instead of "Zane".
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Carlo" wrote:

Hi there,

I have a list of names like Andrew, Zachary, Jeff etc and I need to find out
which one is the highest alphabetically. The max function doesn't seem to
work.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Carlo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming there are no numbers in the range:

For the first alphabetically:

=LOOKUP(2,1/((COUNTIF(rng,"<"&rng)=0)*(rng<"")),rng)

For the last alphabetically:

=LOOKUP(2,1/((COUNTIF(rng,""&rng)=0)*(rng<"")),rng)

Biff

"Carlo" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have a list of names like Andrew, Zachary, Jeff etc and I need to find
out
which one is the highest alphabetically. The max function doesn't seem to
work.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Carlo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff,

Your "student" could have provided the formulae. <BG

Remember our discussion on retrieving the nth element in a data set? I want to post my discovery. Please look for my post cause I always appreciate your comments.

By the way, do you know that the "grasshopper" has made more noises again?

Epinn

"Carlo" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have a list of names like Andrew, Zachary, Jeff etc and I need to find
out
which one is the highest alphabetically. The max function doesn't seem to
work.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Carlo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

....appending an improbable character to the COUNTIF criteria shortens the
formula and returns the same results:

Min text value:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(COUNTIF(A1:A5,"<"&A1:A5&"~")=1),A1:A5)

Max text value:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(COUNTIF(A1:A5,""&A1:A5&"~")=0),A1:A5)

Or....use CHAR(7)...the ASCII Bell...... instead of "~" to be certain that
no cell will contain the character.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Carlo" wrote in message
Hi there,

I have a list of names like Andrew, Zachary, Jeff etc and I need to find
out
which one is the highest alphabetically. The max function doesn't seem to
work.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Carlo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Wow! I am glad that I have so many experts to look up to. But, I am very lost now and I need help.

I have seen &"" quite a bit but I have never seen &"~" until now. Some of you may be aware that I like to experiment a lot. So, here I go again.

Min text value:

=LOOKUP(2,1/(COUNTIF(A1:A5,"<"&A1:A5&"~")=1),A1:A5)

I took out the ~ and use a space instead and I got the same result.
I took out the ~ and did NOT leave a space i.e. "" and I got the *second* smallest value and not the min.

Max text value:

=LOOKUP(2,1/(COUNTIF(A1:A5,""&A1:A5&"~")=0),A1:A5)

Regardless of whether I use "~", " " (with space) or "" (w/o space), I got the same correct result (i.e. the max).

I am going to make this more confusing for myself. Is there a connection between "~" and what Bob P. wrote previously? If not, can someone give me an explanation similar to the following so that I can understand "~"?

Adding &"" to the end of the COUNTIF formula forces a count

of the blanks. This addition on its own removes the #DIV/0! error, but will
cause the blanks to be counted as a unique item. A further addition to the formula
resolves this by testing for those blanks. Instead of dividing the array of
counts into 1 each time, adding the test creates an array of TRUE/FALSE
values to be divided by the equivalent element in the counts array. Each
blank will resolve to FALSE in the dividend array, and the count of the
blanks in the divisor array. The result of this will be 0, so the blanks do
not get counted. <<

I appreciate all the help I can get as I am very lost now.

Epinn