Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF function and DATES

Hi all,

Hoping that you can all put your heads together and help me on this
problem.

I want to create an IF function that will look up a column of DATES
and insert an amount in another column only where the date is (say)
the 15th of each month.

Is it possible? Has it been done before? Can someone help?

Thanks!! :o)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

If the date in cell A1 is the 15th of a month return 10, otherwise, leave
the cell blank.

=IF(DAY(A1)=15,10,"")

Biff

"Excel_Oz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

Hoping that you can all put your heads together and help me on this
problem.

I want to create an IF function that will look up a column of DATES
and insert an amount in another column only where the date is (say)
the 15th of each month.

Is it possible? Has it been done before? Can someone help?

Thanks!! :o)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You did it again Biff, you always manage to find a way.

My next question is this, now I have the 15th of the month, what if I
want to number every day of the month like that. I know that I only
have 7 if function's available, so should I use my OR function as
well?

Or is this impossible?

Thanks

"Excel_Oz" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi all,

Hoping that you can all put your heads together and help me on this
problem.

I want to create an IF function that will look up a column of DATES
and insert an amount in another column only where the date is (say)
the 15th of each month.

Is it possible? Has it been done before? Can someone help?

Thanks!! :o)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

So you want a different value returned based on the day?

1/3/2007 = day 3

What do you want returned for day 3?

That would mean there are potentially 31 different values to return. If
that's the case then you'll need to create a lookup table. Or, if there's
some pattern to values returned we might be able to hack something together.

Biff

ups.com...

"Excel_Oz" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hi all,

Hoping that you can all put your heads together and help me on this
problem.

I want to create an IF function that will look up a column of DATES
and insert an amount in another column only where the date is (say)
the 15th of each month.

Is it possible? Has it been done before? Can someone help?

Thanks!! :o)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Basically I need a number for dates 1 through to 31.

I thought a formula would be quicker than typing in the day for each
date for the next 30 years.

So, the 1st should be 1 for all months (unless there is a reason why
the dates need to be numbered differently). Following that the 2nd can
be 2, 3rd - 3 etc.

Any suggestions?

Also, is there a way to insert a value into a cell becide the last day
of every month?
On Feb 21, 1:39 pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
So you want a different value returned based on the day?

1/3/2007 = day 3

What do you want returned for day 3?

That would mean there are potentially 31 different values to return. If
that's the case then you'll need to create a lookup table. Or, if there's
some pattern to values returned we might be able to hack something together.

Biff

"Excel_Oz" wrote in message

ups.com...

You did it again Biff, you always manage to find a way.

My next question is this, now I have the 15th of the month, what if I
want to number every day of the month like that. I know that I only
have 7 if function's available, so should I use my OR function as
well?

Or is this impossible?

Thanks

On Feb 21, 12:47 pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
Try something like this:

If the date in cell A1 is the 15th of a month return 10, otherwise,
leave
the cell blank.

=IF(DAY(A1)=15,10,"")

Biff

"Excel_Oz" wrote in message

groups.com...

Hi all,

Hoping that you can all put your heads together and help me on this
problem.

I want to create an IF function that will look up a column of DATES
and insert an amount in another column only where the date is (say)
the 15th of each month.

Is it possible? Has it been done before? Can someone help?

Thanks!! :o)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What exactly are you trying to do?

=DAY(cell_ref)

Will return the day number.

1/31/2007 = day 31
2/1/2007 = day 1

Biff

ups.com...

On Feb 21, 1:39 pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
So you want a different value returned based on the day?

1/3/2007 = day 3

What do you want returned for day 3?

That would mean there are potentially 31 different values to return. If
that's the case then you'll need to create a lookup table. Or, if there's
some pattern to values returned we might be able to hack something
together.

Biff

ups.com...

"Excel_Oz" wrote in message

groups.com...

Hi all,

Hoping that you can all put your heads together and help me on this
problem.

I want to create an IF function that will look up a column of DATES
and insert an amount in another column only where the date is (say)
the 15th of each month.

Is it possible? Has it been done before? Can someone help?

Thanks!! :o)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Create a detailed mortgage calculator, taking into consideration when
bills fall due. And when pay dates fall which is the 15th of the month
and the last day of the month.

:o)

On Feb 21, 2:12 pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
What exactly are you trying to do?

=DAY(cell_ref)

Will return the day number.

1/31/2007 = day 31
2/1/2007 = day 1

Biff

ups.com...

On Feb 21, 1:39 pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
So you want a different value returned based on the day?

1/3/2007 = day 3

What do you want returned for day 3?

That would mean there are potentially 31 different values to return. If
that's the case then you'll need to create a lookup table. Or, if there's
some pattern to values returned we might be able to hack something
together.

Biff

roups.com...