Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default linking a text with a date and can't remember the format

I want to link text in a1 "Sam's Birthday is" & a2 "2/17/07 to show in a3.
When I
input in a3: =a1&a2 I get Sam's Birthday is 39130. I know this needs
something like m/d/yy with the A2 but can;t remember what format it needs.

Thanks,
Laura
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

In A3: =A1&TEXT(A2,"mm/dd/yy")
--
Max
Singapore
"lauras03" wrote:
I want to link text in a1 "Sam's Birthday is" & a2 "2/17/07 to show in a3.
When I
input in a3: =a1&a2 I get Sam's Birthday is 39130. I know this needs
something like m/d/yy with the A2 but can;t remember what format it needs.

Thanks,
Laura

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, this works for me, but seems there should be a better way...
=A1 & TEXT(DATE(YEAR(A2),MONTH(A2),DAY(A2))," m/d/yy")

P.S. Happy Birthday, Sam. Welcome to the world?? Or is there not really a
Sam? <g

"lauras03" wrote:

I want to link text in a1 "Sam's Birthday is" & a2 "2/17/07 to show in a3.
When I
input in a3: =a1&a2 I get Sam's Birthday is 39130. I know this needs
something like m/d/yy with the A2 but can;t remember what format it needs.

Thanks,
Laura

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

In the earlier, I presumed A2 contained a real date (the birth date)
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dadgummit! I tried TEXT() early on and couldn't get it to do it. Must not
have been holding my tongue right. Thanks! So many worksheet functions, so
few little gray cells...