Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default HP and Functions

I'm trying to replace all instances of "HP2-" in a column of text with
"COC3-". Each time I run the Replace command, I get an error saying that the
formula is invalid.

I get the same error when I use "HP2" and "HP". When I try searching the
help files for "HP in Functions", I get a list of text functions and issues -
none of which show HP in the description.

What's happening? (I tried using MS Tech Support, but I'm not allowed to
pay the $50 fee and the free period is over. Grrrrr!)

--
Mike S.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What else is in those cells?

Any chance that after the change, whatever is left looks like a formula and
doesn't make sense to excel?

Any chance that you're getting a "formula too long" message? This can happen
when there's lots and lots of text in the cell.

Mike S. wrote:

I'm trying to replace all instances of "HP2-" in a column of text with
"COC3-". Each time I run the Replace command, I get an error saying that the
formula is invalid.

I get the same error when I use "HP2" and "HP". When I try searching the
help files for "HP in Functions", I get a list of text functions and issues -
none of which show HP in the description.

What's happening? (I tried using MS Tech Support, but I'm not allowed to
pay the $50 fee and the free period is over. Grrrrr!)

--
Mike S.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the data is in column c use the SUBSTITUTE formula

=SUBSTITUTE(C1,"HP2-","COC3-") and copy down.

Or you can use the Edit, Replace function (Crtl + H) and type the values in
the form.

Peter